16 inch vs 18 inch tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 16 inch vs 18 inch tracks

Hybrid View

16 inch vs 18 inch tracks

So I could not find anything on the search about this............ for practical purposes, just how much difference is there in the snow between running 16 inch plastic tracks and 18 inch plastic tracks? You know realistic real world difference, not theoretical.

I live in SW Manitoba so the snow is usually the dry powder stuff and hard packed drifts.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mike; 03-06-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: moved thread from Argo forum to Track forum

HI I have the 12.5 plastic tracks go with rubber tracks if you can .They wont slow down your machine like the plastic do mine.
    Last edited by fixer2; 03-07-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: I missed a word

Thanks for the comment. I have to say though that spending $4,000 on rubber tracks is not an option for me......... and that is what I was quoted by an Argo dealer in Saskatchewan. The only thing I will be using it for in the winter is trapping and I can buy a pretty good long track sled for $4000. I am most assuredly open to suggestions. I have no real experience with an Argo in snow and so I don't really even know what I can get around in with tires yet.

Argo plastic tracks are sold as 13 inch and 18 inch supertracks, would recomend the 18 inch if your running an 8x8 out alone. RockDoctor seems to well versed with all the tracks so you may want to pm him on this question.
    The rubber tracks have more traction and also have more drag during turns.

SNOW SNOW SNOW It all depends on the type of snow you will be running in. I have a set of 18 inch plastic tracks on my conquest. I go from a low elevation wet snow too a high elevation dry snow and the tracks just ball up like a big snow ball. I am know looking at a new set of tracks. and will give away the argo snow balls.
    I like the channel track or I may go the RSB 20 inch rubber tracks
    Then again there are a lot of nice tracks out there now. but the plastic will ball up if you go through water then back on to the cold snow.
    Tracks are not cheep, If it was me I spend the $$$$$ and get a set of tracks that will do the job for your needs. and not go cheep. because it will only be a wast of $$$$ to have something that you find is not suitable for your needs
    Just my two cents {OH thats right} we know longer have pennies

Here are the 13" plastic tracks in a action on my Attex Tomahawk 'Lil Truck. They do very well in the powder. They're not good at climbing anything like tree roots or rocks, but if you're just using them for snow, they're great.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by Maskwa View Post
    Thanks for the comment. I have to say though that spending $4,000 on rubber tracks is not an option for me......... and that is what I was quoted by an Argo dealer in Saskatchewan. The only thing I will be using it for in the winter is trapping and I can buy a pretty good long track sled for $4000. I am most assuredly open to suggestions. I have no real experience with an Argo in snow and so I don't really even know what I can get around in with tires yet.
    There are a couple of good tracks out there for under $4000 and do work well. you do not have to go argo. On the site you will find lot of info on the different tracks you can get.

2 of the same style tracks, one 16" and one 18"....... You probably will not notice too much difference, they will go the same places, but you might have to be a bit creative in your driving.
    But
    2 different styles of tracks, say a Closed Face 16" and an open faced 18"....... the 16" ones might give better floatation in powder.

If you are open to suggestions, I would say get a Sled for Trapping. Tight Trails, steep drifted gullies and coolies to get through, Getting in/out of an Argo at each trap set, warm to cold, warm to cold............. What a PITA. (Not to mention that just thinking about having a bottle of Mink/Martin Lure in a warm cab is enough to give me "Dry Heaves", ugh). Traplines are usually long days on a Sled, it would take more than twice as long to cover a Trapline with an Argo, and you would probably rattle some teeth loose doing it with a machine without any suspension.

RD

Rock Doctor................ thank you for your take on it, much appreciated. I had not planned to put a cover on the
    argo, but I can see that it could be a tad slow. Was thinking about using it when the wife wanted to come with me to check traps, as we do not have two sleds. Maybe I will just get another sled for my wife and stick to using the Argo for early season beaver trapping before the snow gets too deep.

+ Reply to Thread