left caliper is dragging. replace caliper or M.C.??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: left caliper is dragging. replace caliper or M.C.??

Hybrid View

left caliper is dragging. replace caliper or M.C.??

Hello, I have an 88 Magnum with teh Kohler motor. I replaced all the chains and bearings this summer and it has been running well until the last few trips. Now after about 15 minutes, the left caliper starts to drag heavily, to the point it will seize.

I am assuming the caliper will not slide back open, and I dont think it is the M.C., however I figured I would post here to see if that is a common issue.

So should I just go ahead and order a new caliper and pads?

Change your brake fluid.
    If your brake fluid has any water/moisture in it, it will expand when it starts to heat up. The expansion will pressure up the brake system, causing the brake to drag.

When it happens again, try pulling the cover off the master cylinder (just need to loosen it). That will help you get to where you're going, but will not solve the problem (temporary fix).

RD

I will try that. I have a feeling my cap does not seal correctly, so I don't *think* it is building pressure, but I am not sure. My immediate trail fix was WD 40 on the rotor. It atleast got me to where I could hoof it back.

You can buy rebuild kits for the M.C. and caliper. Just make sure you replace the fluid with the recommended type.

It's possible the brake hose it chaffed on the inside, If you loosen the hose at the caliper and it frees that's a good possibility if RD's fix doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
    You can buy rebuild kits for the M.C. and caliper. Just make sure you replace the fluid with the recommended type.
    is there a type of fluid that I can buy at a auto parts place, or does it have to be Argo brand?

You can get it anywhere, just make sure it's DOT5

RD

+ Reply to Thread