Quote Originally Posted by foxvalley View Post
I also believe it to be extremly difficult to throw a track,as I have been trying to do just that for the last couple of years. I believe that if you are not running enough tire presure in the tires,that the possiblity of this happening increases greatly.
I also believe that there is very little chance of sidewall issues,as I have neither heard of or experienced any wear whatsoever on the sidewalls.
The pro series has a shorter, heavier grosser to accomodate narrow trail use,for example, guys like RD getting thru between trees in the trail,etc.
I am still a big fan of the 18" chain tracks,and had a real hard time being convinced otherwise,but the pro series,with the addition of the winter kits,is much more aggessive not only on ice,but in the deep swamps where submerged logs are a non issue for the steel cleats.

Buzz, I think it's great that you are doing a comparison between the two types of tracks,however, if you want to do a fair comparison, either put on the winter kits on the pro series, or take off the steel grossers on your rig.
Reference throwing a track: I purchased my Argo Frontier with a set of 25" rawhideIII tires and a set of Adair tracks, I also ran a set of the second Generation Adair tracks with the 24" Argo swimmer tire and the 14.5 inch track.

I will be the first to tell you the 24" tire is much better suited to being tracked.

I did notice on a number of occasions that the track mounted with the 25" tires would roll left and right as you were going down the trail or in ruts or mud lanes. The rolling can be observed in a couple of my videos. When I switched to the 24" tires with the more square narrow design the rolling absolutely went away and the ride quality of the 24" tires was far superior to the 25" tires.

As long as you keep the 24" tire aired up properly it would be very difficult to walk out of them although on occasion I did have some issues in very soft mud with roots and tree limbs. The main thing is to keep the tires properly inflated and you should never have an problem losing a track with the more squared off tires.
Having said that if you ever did walk out of a track it's not a big deal to put them back on as long as you have an air pump with you to deflate and inflate the tires.