HDPE Tub Color restoration with paint thinner and boiled linseed oil

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

Thread: HDPE Tub Color restoration with paint thinner and boiled linseed oil

Threaded View

HDPE Tub Color restoration with paint thinner and boiled linseed oil

Hi everybody, so I was looking for a way to spruce up my badly faded/oxidized/uv damaged Hustler 950 tub and wasn't having any luck with the heat gun method. I went online looking for a solution and found where someone was using a 60/40 mix of paint thinner and linseed oil to bring back some life to their four wheeler body. I was more than a bit suspicious due to its homebrew nature, and the person didn't even state that it was HDPE, but I tried it and it worked a lot better than I thought it would. I thought it would just sort of flash off and not retain the color, but so far so good and we are at day three. Additionally, the mixture is a hell of a general cleaner. I had some pretty tough residual grease that the pressure washer didn't get up, and when rubbing the interior of the tub down it was not only restoring color, but also taking up a lot of grease.

In any case, if you are like me and haven't had any luck with heat or anything else, you might give this a shot. Just don't blame me if it damages something; as all the chemical cans say "test in an inconspicuous area" before going whole hog.

Video

Before

At 72 hours.

Last edited by Mike; 05-20-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: embedded video by removing the "s" in https://