interesting discovery with water speed and swamp fox tires

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

Thread: interesting discovery with water speed and swamp fox tires

Threaded View

interesting discovery with water speed and swamp fox tires

I have been playing with air pressure and conducting several experiements to try to get my water speed up. Like most people with AATV I run my tires with the V pointed backwards because I have always been told that the tires swim better this way. Yesterday as I was playing around with my Max and decided to turn the front tires around with the V facing forward. While I was doing this I got the impression to turn the rear tires around with the V facing forward also. I made the changes and then took my max into the small pond in my back yard. What I found out asonished me. The Max picked up somewhere between 1/2 and and one full mile per hour water speed! But even more important it was easier to control in the water! Control is vey important because of all the swamp areas I ride in! I was floored! I decided to get out of the water and change the middle tires so that they faced forward also. Once this was done it was back into the pond to check my water speed again. The water speed and control I had gained went away with all the V's facing forward! What! I changed the middle tires one more time facing rearward and low and behold the water speed and control came right back! Seems the big lugs on the swamp foxes lift the front tires out the water with the V facing foward and then the middle tires (with the V facing backward) pick up and move the thing right along! I don't understand all the physics but I do know that it worked for me and I am excited to have more water speed and better control! WOW!
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 09-23-2007 at 06:07 AM.