Mixing tires and Chevron Direction?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mixing tires and Chevron Direction?

Mixing tires and Chevron Direction?

I have seen some guys who look like they know what they are doing mix the types of tires on their AATV. I wonder if this is a good idea or is it just too hard on the chains? Swimmers, Murders and sometimes Turf on center axle

Also this may seem like a novice question but I just bought a machine were the chevrons are facing different ways and wanted to know the right way. I would think it would swim better if the point of the V was the last to touch the surface but it may get better road results if the point of the V is the first to touch the surface.>>>> or <<<<
    The guy who owned the 6x6 I just picked up had the back two tires reversed.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

The tires should all be the same size height because of differant cicumferances would make the tire speed differant on some then others. The v swims with the point hitting ground last but works better for mud with the point hitting first.

Robio-V direction

Quote Originally Posted by Robio_8x8 View Post
    I have seen some guys who look like they know what they are doing mix the types of tires on their AATV. I wonder if this is a good idea or is it just too hard on the chains? Swimmers, Murders and sometimes Turf on center axle

Also this may seem like a novice question but I just bought a machine were the chevrons are facing different ways and wanted to know the right way. I would think it would swim better if the point of the V was the last to touch the surface but it may get better road results if the point of the V is the first to touch the surface.>>>> or <<<<
    The guy who owned the 6x6 I just picked up had the back two tires reversed.
    If you want the machine to swim face the V's backward-this always works best for a true AATV tire- There are certain mud tires (Vampires) that will swim backwards or forward but they always get better mud bite with the V's facing forward- Many times water speed is what pulls you out of a hole! Other times you need the bite of a mud tire, you have to decide where you drive and what you want. I have big mud tires because that is what I need for where I drive. Are they hard on your chains? YES!!Gotta do what fit's your needs my friend!!

Same sizes just differnt styles

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    The tires should all be the same size height because of differant cicumferances would make the tire speed differant on some then others. The v swims with the point hitting ground last but works better for mud with the point hitting first.

I would assume they would all need to be the same size I was just wondering about tread patterns. I would go with the same tread pattern myself but I thought this may be a way to get your cake and eat it too. Treads for swimming, treads for mud etc.

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/show...php/photo/1608

JerseyBigFoot's Scrambler is using a turf tire on the center axle
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

Same size tire

Quote Originally Posted by Robio_8x8 View Post
    I would assume they would all need to be the same size I was just wondering about tread patterns. I would go with the same tread pattern myself but I thought this may be a way to get your cake and eat it too. Treads for swimming, treads for mud etc.

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/show...php/photo/1608

JerseyBigFoot's Scrambler is using a turf tire on the center axle
    Even though I use to different tires I am Very, very careful to make sure they all ride at the same ride height and that the tires measure the same diameter. I check this constantly!!! Yes different tires, Mudbug runs gators on the front(bite) Goodyear 26" Terras on the back for swimming.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 02-17-2008 at 12:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread