roll pins vs bolts

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: roll pins vs bolts

roll pins vs bolts

I've noticed many of you swapped out your old roll pins for nuts and bolts on your wheel hubs. Why? What grade bolt do you use? Do they ever shear?

because they fail at the worst of times. Popular options are grade eight hex cap screws, grade 8 bolts with part of the head ground flat (this is all to accomodate the tight clearance against the sprocket with is not sufficient for a bolt head) and some very very high shear strength roll pins available from Grainger. There are many posts about them, search "roll pin" "shear pin", and "hex cap screw". Mine are held axially with .032" stainless steel safety wire.

My scrambler with new tires easily snaps grade 8 bolts while skid steering at high speed on dry grass.The bolts are 5/16 x 4.roll pins snap easier.I am figuring that this will stop if I stay in mud .I am looking forward to this winter!I figure snow and ice will be much easier on the hub shear bolts

I have an 81 I/C 8x8 argo, I used regular roll pins, but I insert a smaller roll pin inside the original roll pin, so each spot has two roll pins, one inside the other.

Just was talking this with top mechanic, he drills to 3/8" and upsizes grade 8s. I was asking him to key my axles and spockets. The discussion was does does overdrilling weaken the axles too much. Yes, on richard's relics axles (cold rolled bar stock) but no on 2dsmaxalaska axles(made from 4010, says he has not broken one at the bolt in 20 years hauling heavy)

+ Reply to Thread