Kohler k399 2T

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kohler k399 2T

Kohler k399 2T

Well I figured out why my old Kohler wouldn't start.
    I knew the compression was low on 1 cylinder and pulled the head but the piston & rings looked ok. Removed the clutch and noticed a crack in the side of the block.
    Has anyone sucessfully repaired something like this?
    I'm sure i can weld it but machining would be expensive.
    So if I part it out what are the parts worth? I checked eBay and prices seem inflated and hard to find.
    Should I sell it as is or use it as a boat anchor?
    Shipping would be an issue unless someone local needs it.

Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-06-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Found it. I will have to look at my engine tag but im pretty sure mine was built in Canada. I'm not sure if much will be compatible, although I am still interested.

Here's the manual...if you need help with wiring let me know I'm close to Burlington.
    http://www.asberry.net/files/TwoStrokeSM.pdf

Hello,
    I don't know to what extent the block is cracked, but one way to stop it from cracking more is to drill a couple of small holes at the ends of the cracks. Yes, you can always weld it, but if it's cast iron you have to heat it up quite a bit and then Tig weld it. The block should also be ground deeply into the crack to weld it as thoroughly as possible. If you don't weld it and drill the holes the only concern is that it not leak oil.
    Regarding the block any machine shop can bore it and place a new cylinder sleeve in it, even an automotive machine shop. They can then bore the new cylinder to your piston size. A motorcycle shop will most likely be expensive. This procedure is generally not that expensive in general. You can consider this option.
    Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread