fuel pump problem?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fuel pump problem?

fuel pump problem?

Hi, I have an 84 argo with the kohler twin 17 series II engine. When I first got it it would just crank and crank. At first I pulled the inlet line to the fuel pump and hooked up a clear vinyl hose to it. The other end was going into a little container of gas. I could see the fuel being pumped up to the pump and then to the carb, but again no start. To make a long story short it was the condenser. So with that I removed the gas tank, emptied the old gas and installed the gas tank and put new gas in. New gas lines and filter. Rebuilt the carburetor, and no start! So I hooked up the clear vinyl hose to the inlet of the fuel pump and put the other end in a little container of gas. It started. So, I hooked up the line from the gas tank to the carburetor and again nothing. So what does it sound like? Can a fuel pump start to get weak or does it simply work or not? I was wondering if it could be something to do with the fuel line? Anyway any kind of help would be great! Thanks.

Check where the line hooks to the tank,That little piece could be stopped up.It happened to me on a maxll.

I hooked up a vacuum pump to the fuel line inlet (to the pump), and gas came up through quickly and easily. Can a fuel pump slowly fade away or does it work or not work? Thanks

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and run the pump to see if fuel is getting to that point.
    It should build around 2 lbs pressure.
    The pump could be weak and not able to build pressure.
    If the fuel line is old replace it.

Well, go figure. After getting fuel up to the fuel pump inlet(with a vacuum pump) I hooked everything up as normal. Tried starting the argo and it started and ran!! Even turned it off and on a couple of times with no hitch. Tried the transmission and everything works. I'm thinking I might go and buy a pump anyway, should I keep it stock (mechanical) or buy a 12v inline type? Once this is looked after on to a brake master cylinder rebuild. Thanks.

I wouldnt replace the pump if its working now.
    Air in the line is not good.......shouldnt gravity bring the fuel to the pump from the tank?

I would replace the lines and check the vacuum line from the fuel pump to the motor,It could be a leak there.I mentioned a electric fuel pump but the more i think about it i don't think it's a good ideal for a full time fuel source,Maybe a back up.Electric pumps use a lot of power and could be a fire hazard.You can get a briggs and stratton fuel pump at autozone.

+ Reply to Thread