Test Swamp (with tracks)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Test Swamp (with tracks)

Quote Originally Posted by Lochalsh
    how do the Adair tracks swim?

Here are some video's showing how well the Adair tracks perform in the water.

This last video shows how well an Argo 8x8 swims with the generation ' 8 ' tracks. Tim is now selling generation 12 tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochalsh View Post
    Two further questions, how do the Adair tracks swim? Also, do many people extend some kind of fender to keep the mud from flying or just go slow? I have an 8x8 Magnum with tires that are getting low on tread. The tires are hard to find so I was thinking of getting Adair tracks. Not so much swamps as steep mountains (Kootenays, BC). O.K.one other question, did you build the roll cage or is that the argo rops? Thanks.

Its the Argo ROPS. Its overkill for what I need but it was on the machine when I got it. I bolted some plywood on the top for a rack so I at least could use it to carry bulk light stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    There is no denighing that a closed face track has huge floatation abilities in mud/Muskeg, and I know just what you mean about the camera not doing justice to the trail. I chucked more than half the vid I shot last weekend just for that reason. If I had been on tires, I WOULD have been stuck, but with tracks, it looked like I was driving on a groomed trail.
    I agree that "Whatever Works" .................... works, but I'm also one of those that believe Rubber Tracks are hard on equipment, especially in wet summer conditions.
    When I first started looking at these Adair Track Things I was more than a little skeptical. Now, I would not even consider putting my Rubber Tracks back on for summer use, and I've decided to order another set of Adair's. In the end it may turn out that Tracks are not the answer for me, and if I come to that conclusion, I will tell you about it and give reasons why.

Just thinking about trying to turn my Conquests, on Rubber Tracks, with a Bison or a couple Moose in the back just sends a shiver down my spine.

RD
    Hey RD,

Been out of town....but meaning to ask you. Where I hunt one of the things that has kept me from using the rubber tracks is the sidehills. With a moose and all our gear, trying to side hill along a valley, and its constant steering corrections, is tough enough with tires only. With rubber tracks and all the traction they have, I have serious worries about using them as it has GOT to be tough on the drivetrain. But of course, tires limit what you can do when you hit a creek bog on the way, thus the desire to have tracks.

With the Adair tracks, they "seem" to slide easier or steer easier, at least in the videos you have. (try doing the spin-a-roo on the highway like you did with rubber tracks ....) Would you say the Adair would be somewhere in between tires and rubber tracks for how they would side-hill?

If they are then the may be the answer I am looking for..........

DF

Quote Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
    Hey RD,

Been out of town....but meaning to ask you. Where I hunt one of the things that has kept me from using the rubber tracks is the sidehills. With a moose and all our gear, trying to side hill along a valley, and its constant steering corrections, is tough enough with tires only. With rubber tracks and all the traction they have, I have serious worries about using them as it has GOT to be tough on the drivetrain. But of course, tires limit what you can do when you hit a creek bog on the way, thus the desire to have tracks.

With the Adair tracks, they "seem" to slide easier or steer easier, at least in the videos you have. (try doing the spin-a-roo on the highway like you did with rubber tracks ....) Would you say the Adair would be somewhere in between tires and rubber tracks for how they would side-hill?

If they are then the may be the answer I am looking for..........

DF
    Whew, Derik that's a loaded question. I would love to tell you "Yes, they will work great in that capacity". Unfortunatly, every situation will be different. To date, I have not had any issues with "Sidehilling", but I can see it ending in catastrophy under the right conditions. The Adair Tracks that I currently use have Grousers shaped remarkably like Ski's. Now, I think that if the tracks are properly fitted and tire pressures are right, I don't think you would drive out of them, but if conditions were right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it), it might be possible to start the machine sliding sideways down a hill. THIS WOULD NOT BE A GOOD THING (as I'm sure you know)

I tell ya what, I will do some extensive sidehilling on my next trip, loaded and unloaded, I will report back to you with my results. I won't hold back on my findings, if it works good I'll tell ya. If I end up rolled up in a mixed ball of "Stuff, Argo, and Body Parts"......... Um, I'll try to get my wife to post a message on my behalf

RD

+ Reply to Thread