Transmission chatter

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission chatter

Transmission chatter

How can I get rid of transmission chatter? It's pretty bad. It happens at the friction point of forward reverse and braking. Annoying! Just got bands redone. First time out wasn't bad and now worse. The bands before didnt do it and had about 25% left. The chatter rattles chains and body bad. I can't turn with out it chattering. I also have another problem that's occurred before redoing bands. Near top speed the unit just looses power with rpms still going. It feels like the belt was cut with no more power or stearing. The brakes still work. This problem has gotten worse and happens now at lower speed as well. Sometimes the problem is minimal.
    Last edited by Mike; 09-04-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: moved thread from general discussion to the correct forum (transmission)

The best thing to do is add about 4 ounces of limited slip differential additive to the T-20. This will prevent chattering of the bands.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks I'll try that and get back with you to let you know how it turns out.

My hustler has also been loosing power from mid through top speed. It feels as if someone would put it on neutral. Rpms stay constant just looses anercia. I've already replaced primary clutch and nothing has changed. It will regain power if I let the rpms go down. Then you can hear and feel it grabbing again. Secondary clutch? It's an 84' model and I don't think anything has been done to the clutch on tranny.

I had a similar issue and the secondary clutch on my transmission needed to be replaced it was so worn out. The spring was no good, the plastic buttons/sliders were shot, etc. I put a new clutch on after inspecting the old one and seeing all the problems with it and now it's a whole new animal.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

It has to be the correct additive, some are not for ATF applications go to your local G.M. dealer and get their additive,(friction modifier). I had one do the same thing yours is doing after a rebuild and it fixed it right up.

Thaks for the feed back guys. I'm going to replace the spring 1st. The sliders look ok. Thanks Joe also I'll try the additive.

ThanksJoe the additive cleared it up immediately!

You are welcome.

+ Reply to Thread