hustler chains??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hustler chains??

hustler chains??

do the different hustler models come with different size chains??
    i bought a hustler that needs new chains.....i think it might be a 900 or 950??
    i think it has an 18 hp briggs in it ,....how do u tell the difference??

i also acquired what i think is a 980?? it too has 18 hp briggs but with bigger tires than
    the other....it needs a soilenoid.

both the hustlers seem to be bigger than my max 2.

All Hustlers were larger than the Max II. I know for a fact that pretty much every Hustler had #50 chain, but I think some of the very first fiberglass body machines might have had #40, but I don't know for sure. If I were you, I'd keep BOTH Hustlers because they're GREAT machines, especially the 980. In my opinion the Hustler 980 BIGFOOT is one of the best machines ever made and has the potential to be made into one of the most capable, versatile, and reliable machines out there. I LOVE mine and I would NEVER trade it for any brand new machine out there. Now, here's a brief rundown of the Hustler models:

Hustler (unknown model number, maybe 880?), the very first one made in 1969 or 1970, fiberglass body, Kohler 309cc single, jackshaft/clutch style transmission, jet pump option, balloon tires.

Hustler 880, fiberglass body, CCW 340 twin engine, T-20, jet pump option, 21" Goodyear Rawhide tires.

Hustler 900, poly body, Kohler 440cc twin engine, T-20, 21" Goodyear Rawhide tires stock, jet pump option not offered any longer on any poly body machines.

Hustler 945HK, poly body, Kohler K341 single 16HP, T-20, 21" Goodyear Rawhide tires.

Hustler 950, poly body, Kohler K341 single 16HP, and the later models had 18HP 694cc Briggs I/C twin engines (and possibly 16HP Briggs I/C twin engines), T-20.

Hustler 980 BIGFOOT, tall and very tall lower bodies, 18HP 694cc Briggs I/C twin engine, T-20. Both of the 980's with tall bodies came with 26" Goodyear Super Terra Grip tires, but the taller of the two tubs was made so you could run tracks right over the 26" tires.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I've got two Hustler fiberglass models. One has a 340cc and the other a
    400cc. Both Canadian Curtis Wright, (CCW) motors. Both have the T-20
    and also have the jet pump. The chain is all # 50 except from the front to
    the middle wheel sprockets and that is a # 40 chain on both.

Quote Originally Posted by fencepostjed View Post
    I've got two Hustler fiberglass models. One has a 340cc and the other a
    400cc. Both Canadian Curtis Wright, (CCW) motors. Both have the T-20
    and also have the jet pump. The chain is all # 50 except from the front to
    the middle wheel sprockets and that is a # 40 chain on both.
    I just learned something new. Thank you for posting that information for us. That's another great thing about 6X6World.....the vast about of knowledge of these cool machines always help us learn something.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

thanks for the info guys....im guessing i have a 980 and a 950.they both seem to have the same engine,18 hp briggs twin.
    my max2 came with a 14 hp briggs but i repowered with a 23hp briggs...bolted right up.
    i plan on keeping all 3.lol.
    i know it sounds crazy but i really didnt have time to go thru them much,and im back offshore again thinking about it.
    #50 chain is the answer to my biggest question.....gonna have a box of it sitting at home when i get there.
    any estimates on how many feet to order for the whole job on 1 hustler???

If your one Hustler has 21" tires and an 18HP flat twin Briggs and the other has 26" tires and a flat twin Briggs, then you do in fact have a 950 and a 980......Great machines as I mentioned. A Max II and those two Hustlers makes for an excellent fleet of AATVs. I'm going to take a guess, since I can't remember exactly how much chain I used when I rebuilt my Hustler 980 BIGFOOT, but I think an Attex which is quite a bit smaller than the Hustler takes about 25 feet of chain so I'm going to guess that the Hustler will need about 35 feet.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/hustl...n-lengths.html

This is a refrence by number of links in the #50 chain.

Keith.
    Last edited by kghills; 11-24-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Fixed link

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

for some reason,i cant open that thread.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/hustl...n-lengths.html

Try that one. Keith posted a good link there for reference. 30ft of chain to do a Hustler is the answer. If you're getting chain for the 980 you'll need a few extra feet on top of that because of the larger primary sprockets on the middle axles to gear the machine down because of the taller tires.

+ Reply to Thread