Snow plow width

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snow plow width

Snow plow width

Hi Guys. I am building a "custom" snow plow for my MAX IV from two 42" plows that I got for next to nothing (free and $100). They are this style:

42" John Deere snow plow

I am not that experienced with running a snow plow for the driveway, etc. but would expect it needs to be a few inches wider than the tire tread width of the vehicle. Does anyone have a feeling about how much wider. My plan is to attach one of the plows above with extensions on either side (cut from the second plow) that will bring it to the correct width. Ideas appreciated.

Thanks
    Gary
    Thanks,
    Gary

Nice looking plow, Gary. I'd say that you could make the plow as wide as you wanted to, with the only limiting factor being the traction you get on your driveway with the Max. It's really not a question of power, since you'll probably start spinning all six tires pushing a big pile before your machine runs out of juice. If you're a casual plower and only need to get a few inches out of the way at a time, I say make the puppy nice and wide. If you ever get Lake Effect stuff that we get in Western/Central New York, you can still keep it wide; just go out and plow after every beer to keep up.

We normally get snows of about 6 inches at a time. Not bad. It can be up to 12" but would guess I can keep up with it by plowing twice. Thinking maybe 64" or so at this point. Will start mocking it up this weekend after I get the second donor plow. Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Hi Gary,
    I use a 72" on my Max IV. The deepest snow I have used it with was 8" deep, but it wasn't a heavy snow and the unit pushed along fine without tracks.

mine is 68 inches wide so when turned all the way it clears sidewalks without tearing up grass to bad. but this year i have to figure out why my winch dont work, only used it to lift plow last year and once this summer at the badlands.

When the plow is angled it should clear a path at least the width of the tires. You can add extensions later.
    I would make it as light as possible and use springs so the blade can flip if you hit a curb.
    I use 1" square tube along the bottom of the blade to save the grass.

The Jonh Deer donor does not have springs but I can see there value. Will try to figure out how to convert it over.
    Thanks,
    Gary

plow width

I have a max 2 with the stock wheels and tires on it, it is 56 inches wide. The plow is 60 inches wide so when you angle it you still have full patch coverage of the tires and are not plowing with thw tires in the snow.. Also my plow has center and 2 right and 2 left angle settings, when it is angled all the way you still have coverage.

+ Reply to Thread