Custom Steel Chassis Hustler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Custom Steel Chassis Hustler

Kunzmm

Got the quote back from the plasma guy. The quote was less than $1k including the steel to precision plasma cut all my metal pieces for my build including all the panels, tabs, lugs, and gussets, etc...less than new tubs. I figure another $1K for the suspension hardware and misc.

Going with a new Robin Subaru 27hp EFI. Found one for $1700. Should push it well and efficiently. My model tells me the unit will way a little over 1000 lbs not including the carriage, motor, and transmission. I struggled a bit with using aluminum or 14ga steel for weight considerations. Dont plan for this to be a floater so no biggy on the weight.

thx again
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by shawngray66 View Post
    Kunzmm

Thanks for the help. Decided to go CV due to this Front GM Chevy Driver Side CV Axle Half Shaft Complete Hub Bearing Assembly | eBay. Complete CV shaft and hub for $66 ea.

Look this over. I have run some stress calcs on it and it looks pretty good. Seems to function well thru the simulations.
    I like your new design. Looks like it will work well, I like that it will have adjustable camber too. That is a good price on the cv/hub setup too, not much more than junkyard prices, I will probably be getting the rest of mine through that guy as well.
    I don't want to go fast, I just want to go anywhere.

That was my thoughts on using a stock cv setup. There are a lot to choose from. How are you going to connect it to the shaft inside the tub? That was the part I was trying to figure out. How do we get sprockets and inside axles that will mate?
    Thanks,
    Gary

Complete unit finalized. Time to build.
    Attached Images
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by 2gnospam View Post
    That was my thoughts on using a stock cv setup. There are a lot to choose from. How are you going to connect it to the shaft inside the tub? That was the part I was trying to figure out. How do we get sprockets and inside axles that will mate?
    We chose the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am cv shaft setup for the Hustler because they will bolt right up to the Hustler wheels. The plan is to remove the inner cv joint and weld on a u-joint, then a straight shaft coming out of the tub just an inch or so to connect to the other side of the u-joint. This shaft will hold the sprocket inside the tub, just like the stock axles.
    I don't want to go fast, I just want to go anywhere.

A shot of the suspension mounting plate.
    Attached Images

Updated wheel assembly that uses two lighter shocks - final

I think this would be a good lower cost solution for a 980 tub springer conversion.

Will verify dimensions for anyone interested.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike; 01-06-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: merged three consecutive posts. You can edit your original post.

Sneaking up on the final design. Looking good so far.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread