Hatfields & Mccoys Trails July 4 to July 7 2013

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatfields & Mccoys Trails July 4 to July 7 2013

Shawn,

Are there any vehicle registration or insurance requirements? I want to make sure we don't all get down there and then they decide we need some sort of registration or insurance on our machines. If we do need extra paperwork, we need to have a heads up as most people don't bother to get their machines plated.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

The only thing he put in email was, everyone who comes will be required to wear a helmet eye protection and over the ankle boots. The permits must be purchased by every driver and passenger. Keep in mind we are getting a special permit for our event. And he knows about and what are units are.

In saying this here is,
    Hatfield-McCoy Trail Rules and Regulations, on there web page for utv and atv

Obey all user rules

All trail users must have a valid Hatfield-McCoy Trail Permit. The user permit is to be affixed to the left side of user's helmet below the goggle line at all times. Users who wish to transfer permit to another helmet may do so in person at our administrative office Rt. 10 South, Rich Creek Road, Lyburn WV, 25632.
    Everyone must wear a DOT, SNELL or other approved helmet and protective eyegear.
    No passengers on any ATV unless the ATV is manufactured for the driver and a passenger.
    No alcoholic beverages may be consumed or carried.
    No firearms.
    Obey all signs, gates, and barriers.
    Stay on marked trails.
    Only enter and exit the trail systems at a trailhead, community or other approved connectors.
    Do not enter a "no trail," "no entry" or gated area.
    Drive or ride at a speed reasonable for conditions.
    No person shall drive an ATV/UTV unless that person meets the minimum age recommendation specified by the ATV/UTV manufacturer for the ATV/UTV that is being driven.
    Stop when signaled by a ranger.
    Carry photo identification at all times.
    Adult supervision is required for those under age 18.
    Do not litter.
    No fires.
    No camping on the trails.
    Trail system is open from sunrise to sunset.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SPECIAL SAFETY REQUIREMENTS FOR
    SIDE-BY-SIDE UTILITY TYPE VEHICLE (UTV)

Side-by-side utility type vehicles operated upon the Hatfield-McCoy Trail System shall be subject to all of the safety rules and regulations of the Hatfield-McCoy Regional Recreation Authority and shall also be subject to the following safety rules specifically applying to side-by-side utility vehicles:
    Follow all rules and regulations identified in UTV owner’s manual and rules and regulations listed below.
    Utility Type Vehicles can only be operated on designated trails.
    Easiest Trails (Green) - Approved
    More Difficult Trails (Blue) - Approved
    Most Difficult Trails (Black) - Designated trails only (See Trail Map)
    Extreme Difficult Trails (Red Black) - Not approved
    Signage and Maps- Every intersection will be labeled with a sticker approving or disapproving each trail. This sign will have a UTV with a line through it and state NO SIDE-BY-SIDE/UTVs ALLOWED. Violators subject to $100.00 fine and impoundment of machine.
    Machine Requirements

1. Machines may not be self-constructed or substantially modified from manufacturer’s specifications in the sole opinion of the executive director or designee.

2. Units must be equipped with a steering wheel from the manufacturer.

3. Units must be equipped with ROPS (Roll-Over Protection System) from the manufacturer.

4. Machines must be equipped with manufacturer seat belts and must be in good working order.

5. Low pressure tires required – Max 20PSI at manufacturer’s recommended inflation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side by Side (UTV) Specific Rules
    1. The number of passengers carried on a side-by-side - utility type vehicle shall be limited by the number of manufacturer installed seat belts.

2. All participants must abide by all of the manufacturer’s requirements regarding the age and size of operators and passengers.

3. The driver and passengers of a side by side - utility type vehicle must:
    · Wear seat belts at all times;
    · Keep their hands, arms, feet, head and legs inside the vehicle at all times during operation;
    · Wear a DOT or Snell approved helmet;
    · Wear eye protection at all times; and
    · Obey all rules and regulations.

4. Any operator of a side by side – utility type vehicle must possess a valid owner’s manual for the machine being operated and must be produced upon the request of any Hatfield-McCoy Law Enforcement Officer or any other Law Enforcement Agency.

I also contacted the two campgrounds there, and Little Coal River Campground LLC was the first to get back with me and the owner would love to see us there, that is one of the best weekends, with a lot of thins to do there. We can get a discount but need a head count.

locolouie, I'm a maybe, will try to be there rode this trail when i had my 4 wheeler and loved it. ridden many of thier trails they rock

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn H View Post
    I also contacted the two campgrounds there, and Little Coal River Campground LLC was the first to get back with me and the owner would love to see us there, that is one of the best weekends, with a lot of thins to do there. We can get a discount but need a head count.
    Thanks for all the work, Shawn. I'll have to wait to see how my early summer pans out as far as schedule goes before I commit. I took a look at the Little Coal River Campground... Looks like a nice little Site!

Campground

Here's a link to the Little Coal River Trail System, which is basically right across the road from the trails, but looking at a few different aerial photos, I'm not sure that you can access them without loading up and getting on the highway.

Hatfield and McCoy Trails - Little Coal River Trail System Map : For Atv Camping, Dirt Bike Trails, Atv Ride or Atv Park call TrailsHeaven.com

Once we're there you will not have to load to get to the trails, check out there videos, right from the campgrounds. Also you are permitted on the roads. And all the towns on the trails, for gas, food and so on.

the campground is right across the rd from the trailhead or i believe you can go under the road also up through a creek , the only thing i can remember is it noisey there as train tracks run right behind the campground and its down hill so the train is braking lots of screeching

I keep seeing seat belts and rop. My machine comes with neither. When you install rop you install seat belts. Just curious about those rules and how they apply to us.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

Jeffery knows about our units and we fall under not atv or utv that's why we we're not permitted in the past, and why he is giving us this special permit for our event.

Hatfield McCoy trails update from conversation with Jeff Lusk.

Just had a great talk with Jeff about the 4th of July run on the Little Coal River trails. He is absolutely looking forward to us being there and he suggested a couple of things that would help our cause. First and foremost we need to be there in force. A good group showing he said would go a long way in their boards decision on allowing these machines permanent access to all trails in the future. He will be there over the weekend to meet and greet you guys and have their staff around to observe us in action for several reasons. One is to see how much of an economic impact we have, secondly to observe safety and operations of vehicles, and third to observe the vehicle abilities to handle the trails. Jeffs own neighbor has an aatv themselves so I suspect he has heard this argument for a while now.

As some has posted we actually get a great deal for a 4 day pass for 15 bucks which is way cheaper than the out of state fee of around 50 bucks. I see this as a great opportunity to get a real foothold to run these trails as equals to other vehicles. Other types of atvs like side by sides, Honda odysee's, and now full size vehicles like hummers and jeeps can now run the trails. I think if we do this right our time will be next.

A quick synapsis of why we can not currently run the trails is that the manufactures can bypass motor vehicle regulations with our types of vehicles mainly because they list them for flat land riding and utility use. He said that argos, max's, and others even though very capable for off road riding are actually not sanctioned for that type of terrain use. Anyone who have seen their promotional videos know that they show them in every type of terrain, especially the argo comparison video with the mule and atv. Now the ball is in our court to produce a great first impression and the July 4th weekend would be a great time to work with other 6x6 and 8x8 groups because this effects them also. If there is anything I can do because I live close to the main HMTS offices please let me and know and count me in for that weekend.
    Last edited by Mike; 02-05-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

+ Reply to Thread