Argo 6X6 in snow???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo 6X6 in snow???

Argo 6X6 in snow???

Hello, i was finally able to go out with my argo for the first time. I when ice fishing and i had couple issues/questions.

1. On soft snow like 12"deep, is that normal that only one side is rotating when the argo is losing traction?

I apply the break on the side which was rotating and the other was starting to turn, Is that some kind of slip system or something is wrong with my machine.

I try to reajust the break but no change. On hard surface this thing go awesome.

2.is that better to put chain only in the middle wheel or front and back together. I install the chain in froont and back and the traction was good on the ice but maybe hard on the argo while im turning tight?

I would appreciate your idea and comment. Im new to the argo world, I trade my quad for this machine wich i dreamed to own since years now but in the bottom of my heart i dont know if i did a good thing now.

I know tracks will make difference but which one would be the best on softer snow?

Thank you

Steph

Quote Originally Posted by steph491 View Post
    Hello, i was finally able to go out with my argo for the first time. I when ice fishing and i had couple issues/questions.

1. On soft snow like 12"deep, is that normal that only one side is rotating when the argo is losing traction?

I apply the break on the side which was rotating and the other was starting to turn, Is that some kind of slip system or something is wrong with my machine.

I try to reajust the break but no change. On hard surface this thing go awesome.

2.is that better to put chain only in the middle wheel or front and back together. I install the chain in froont and back and the traction was good on the ice but maybe hard on the argo while im turning tight?

I would appreciate your idea and comment. Im new to the argo world, I trade my quad for this machine wich i dreamed to own since years now but in the bottom of my heart i dont know if i did a good thing now.

I know tracks will make difference but which one would be the best on softer snow?

Thank you

Steph
    1) Yes, this is normal for older machines without the Admiral Transmition. Your Trans is nothing more than an "open" differential, the side with the least traction gets the most power. With practice/experience, the operator (You) can control this with the Brake Levers.

2) I don't think I understand your second question, but here goes: It doesn't sound like you're running Tracks, so Keep the chains on all axles for traction. It is not harder on the machine in the winter than in the summer. If you decide to run tracks, then you can try a set of Track Tuners on your middle axles if you want.

3) there are a number of different Track options out there, some are good in soft snow, but there are other factors. Temperatures, Snow Depth, Trail width, Hills, ect. Where are you riding, and in what conditions?

Hope that helps a bit

RD

thanks for the reply. my second point was is it better to put the chains only in the middle wheels or to install them in the front and back wheel.

I'm using the Argo in pretty soft snow. I was thinking of making my own with sled tracks. I saw a guy in Quebec who make some which look like the escargo. how they escargo tracks works in snow?

If your planning on running 12 inches of snow regular I would suggest tracks, riding on 12" of powder makes 4-6 inches of packed snow, riding on 12" of wet snow makes for stuck as you probably pack that to about 8 inches with only six inches of ground clearance on some older models with 22 inch tires and belly out.

Ah, Sorry, you are talking Tire Chains.....
    Chains will help in hard pack and ice, but not in powder.

I've also seen a few sets of homemade tracks using Snowmobile Tracks, they do look like they work well for some guys.
    I've not tried Escargo Tracks, but I find that the larger the foot print, the better in deep snow.

RD

Those track your talking about are called chaneltrack made by "patenteux". There is a video with it in 28" of snow. No doubt, they go in deep snow and in the mud they must be awsome. They are like the escargo but a lot lighter and cheaper. There are videos with escargo track. It's amazing seeing it going throu the slush
    Jack

18" tracks work like a cats meow

stepped off my tracks and was into soft snow over my knees(approx 26") it liked the deep snow....l run a bigfoot with plastics......worked a little bit harder when from soft to harder snow and vice versa...ran better when l kept speed down...

+ Reply to Thread