engine advice( Thinking on doing a swap)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine advice( Thinking on doing a swap)

engine advice( Thinking on doing a swap)

I have a older great running cast iron 16hp Brigs twin cyl. Im thinking on replaceing my kawasaki 440 with this Brigs. The Brigs already has a clutch on it, will I be able to use this motor and clutch on my 1984 Max IV ? and would I have to use rubber motor mounts to mount this or can I just bolt this down on the mounting plate? I was just wonder if this would work out for me since I have to replace all the axels,bearings and chain , since I'll be in there I might just as well swap the motor over too a 4 stroke.

Everything should work just fine. You'll need a different choke cable, throttle cable and handle, and driven clutch spring. I'd recommend a red one if you're going to use a 16HP engine. All these parts are available from Recreatives. Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511

And yes, you can bolt it to your existing motor mount and not have to shim it with any washers. Does the clutch on the Briggs use the same width belt as the driven clutch on the T-20 does? If so, you're good.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The belt width is pretty close, its maybe a 1/8 th smaller on the brigs.

What clutch is on the Briggs? Could you post a pic?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Ill post a pic when I get home from work .

Quote Originally Posted by mynertz View Post
    ill post a pic when i get home from work .
    heres the pic of the clutchesBRIGS CLUTCH.JPG440 CLUTCH.jpg

Good news and bad news. The bad news is that clutch is more for a go cart or mini bike application. It's too small to use for an AATV and it'll give you the feeling like your gearing will be off. Plus the 1 3/16" wide belt wouldn't work with it. The good news is you could sell it on ebay for $75 or so and put that money toward the correct clutch here:

302405A-W2 - 780 Series Drive Clutch for Recreatives Ind Max ATVs | ATV Parts | MFG Supply

Or you could put a wanted up for one in the classifieds section.

Thanks , I think Im going to pull the clutch and sell it, Thats not a bad price for the drive clutch from MFG

The guys on the MFG Supply site have pretty good prices for their stuff.

I think the one you have on the Briggs now is a Comet 40 or 44. It's pretty popular with the go kart and mini bike crowd.

I have the exact same setup with the ta440a.. Im going to put an 18hp brigs in.. How is your swap going?

+ Reply to Thread