Design flaw

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Design flaw

Design flaw

Dropped a phillips head bit on top of the engine (23 hp Briggs). Looked down in time to see it go thru a little opening right below the carb. No way to get to it and it's up North in the Woods. I tried starting it and right away got the ting ting ting sound of it jumping around. What the he?? does a guy do now. I'm thinking I will have to remove the carb and everything else on top to get to it? And that's if I can get to it even then!!! I'm about ready to sell this thing. The throttle cable froze up because for some reason the heated throttle cable stopped working, I tried fixing it up at deer camp but don't have the tools or facility or damn time to be working on it now, so I've got a double edge sword right now, stuck in the woods - throttle cable will be froze by morning with no way of thawing it, oh and the choke cable bent badly and can't be put back the way it is suppose to. I'm really tired of this and getting ready to put it up for sale. I got stuck the other day in a spot and had to winch out because I was high centered on a mound of mud with water on both sides. My nephew and some of his friends came out drove a circle around my machine where I was stuck and they drove right back out again. They had to winch me out. And just a couple of weeks ago I was laughing at him.
    Putting it into reverse can be a pain and sometimes even in forward, this is all after changing fluids and putting in anti-slip and everything else I'm suppose to do. It shifted fine for about a week then right back to shifting tough every once in a while. Ya know it's ok to work on machines once in a while but I've never had so many problems with a machine as this. Engineering on this thing leaves something to be desired. OK I'm done ranting and raving. I love the machine but am tired of working on something that I spent almost 6000 dollars on.

And I thought I was the only one to drop a bit into that tiny slot. Same exact situation except my engine was running but also got the ting ting sound. I shut the motor down and got the lock up. The bit is probably wedged between the stator and flywheel magnets, at least that is where mine settled. Not a terrible fix but takes a little time. I have an argo by the way. I pulled the engine shroud to expose the flywheel and then pulled the flywheel and there it was wedged like I mentioned. I replaced the stator and wanted to replace the flywheel as two magnets were somewhat damaged. I put the old flywheel back on and put all back together and she started right up. The only issue I had was I cooked the fuse at the front of the motor a little so I never got full charge again but enouhg to keep the battery charged. A fellow member here Kezef figured that one out and he replaced it and all good again. I am soon changing out to the 23 hp motor and decided to lay a peice of tape or something ove rthat gap just to avoid this in the future. I was adjusting the Idle under the carb when I lost the bit, removed the screw driver but the bit stayed in the screw and and I knocked it with my hand trying to retreive it. The high centered thing is just a draw back to these machines but can be avoided with technique and choosing your line. I have watched many a video here and one of the advantages to a roll bar is being able to really rock the machine. I also set up my throttle so I can fix it open to a certain rpm and not have to hold it open and then I can use both hands to rock my argo free. Once moving again I quickly free the throttle and back under control.

Trevor

Hey Trevor
    I just took the shroud off and found a piece of the choke wire I lost a while back, I then found another piece of choke wire that I replaced for the original one I lost. I need to take off the flywheel and see if the phillips head is behind it. Is there any issues to pulling the flywheel off. Do I need to mark it, so it goes back on exactly as it came off. Will it affect timing? How hard was it to get the large nut off?
    Thanks
    Randy

Hey Randy, let me start by saying I wouln't call myself a mechanic, capable but inexperienced. I tackled this job by myself with alot of aprehension but turned out pretty easy. the large nut came of with some effort but was by myself, and holding the clutch on one end and the large one on the other side took some patience, I was more concerned about the flywheel and had never removed one. My buddy gave me two flywheel pullers and luckily one fit but they are pretty cheap from Briggs and stratton. I just kept turning the screws on the puller not really knowing if it was correct but eventually I got the PING and it was off. I replaced the stator as it was damaged, simple fix. I then put the flywheel back on after an extensive search for a new flywheel. I had two magnets get kind of chewed but 75% complete. I think it took longer to disassemble and re assemble than to change the stator and flywheel removal. I checked the gap of flywheel and magnetos? witha card and just put back together and she started right up. I only had a voltage issue but that is because I was cooking that fuse each time I tried to start the motor before fixing. I never saw where the screw tip fell I heard the pinging as it was bouncing down at the fly wheel before I shut the motor off. As a lack of experience I thought the tip was caught in the starter and I even pulled that off...don't if you don't have to that is a bitch to reinstall motor in argo. I had no issues with timing and never was concerned about putting on in same spot I don't think you can due to the key. She runs like a top ever since. Good luck and let us know how you make out, it's good to pass the experience on for others.
    Trevor

+ Reply to Thread