adjustment of bands on T20 transmission

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: adjustment of bands on T20 transmission

adjustment of bands on T20 transmission

Ok very simple question....... there is a tool that spaces between the adjustment bolt and keepers ... I don't have the tool for the spacing. ........ what is the proper spacing and what alternative to the tool can I use in its place? Thanks. TMB

One of the later versions of the t20 manual calls for 5/16 inch of total travel at one adjusting bolt. With play in the lever , and keeper it's a bit hard to measure. With the trany installed in a max 4 travel at top of sticks is 7-71/2 inches. Max II measures about 51/2 " travel. I measure from the dash with play removed from the springs, then pull back hard and measure again. Much tighter than this can drag the released band. Try to adjust so the levers connecting the bands are close to parallel to front of case at mid travel. Hope this helps

mudbug, i bought the tools for spacing and had no luck with them. when i was over at don's he showed me a square stick he uses for a measuring tool for a long time.i ended up adjusting mine the way msafi 65 said. worked good. johnboy va.

Ok the sticks from a resting position travel all tye way back to the front seat when I measured the distance I came up with 10" I seen the illustration instructions for adjustment of the bands on the Richard relics how to page. They are using a tool to space in between the adjustment bolts and the metal keeper. I want to fabricate my own spacing tools but I need to know what the depth of the tools are for correct spacing. Can anyone tell me what the depth is

I used the spacers for adjusting and they work well. Was thinking of giving them to a friend of mine who runs a machine shop have him make a few sets. I will try and remember to get a measurement.

You don't have to have the tool. If you will look in the how-to section of the site on the last page of the T20 rebuild artice, there is a description with photo of how to adjust the bands at the T20. There are also several good how-to's from members here in the transmission forum if you want to use the search.

I made my own tools when the transmissions went away from the flat bar with pins. I used 1/8 inch welding rod bent into U shapes and ground down to just slide behind head of bolts. You need two but the total movement on the sticks is the best way to get it right.

Anyone interested .... the dept of the tool is 0.190" thousandths. .... I converted to mm for those who don't have a calipers it is 4.862 mm but 5mm wwill be saf without going to deep.

+ Reply to Thread