Nitrus

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nitrus

Nitrus

has eny body used one of these? was wondering if it would help on hills ant 7000 ft level.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATV-Q...ayphotohosting

Great for high altitude power loss

I have not tried this in an AATV but have in a light truck engine and it was great driving in the mountains were one would experience power loss due to low oxygenated air.
    This is almost a must when pulling a big house or boat trailer up high mountains.

I found high octane helped in the mountains and it was the only time I noticed a benefit to high octane in the truck I was using.

Low oxygen air content and steep inclines turns the best of motors into gutless wonders
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

umm... I highly doubt that you would use it to pull a house or boat up the mountain. Even the large bottles that I have had experience with only lasted for a few 1/8th mile passes even with low HP jetting.

as for the atv I would think that the nitrous would be better suited to racing (high speed) applications. I'm sure it would help in the example that you posted, in higher elevations on a steep hill but at the same time, that small bottle isn't going to last you long. A better solution would probably be to adjust the carb to a higher altitude and utilize your argo's gearing to get you up the hill. Just my thought. I'm sure there are gearheads out there that would love to throw some nitrous on their 6x6.

Short air pockets

Not used for the full time going up the incline just when passing threw air pockets that reduces the vehicle’s power at the worst possible time.

Tiring to find the web site on it NOS was one of the solutions even though you are right it is usually used for racing application
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

Don't you run the risk of damaging your engine? Do you think it would help going up steep hill climbes at normal elevation?

Hi folks,
    I'm no expert, but I ran nitrous in my race car for a short time,best suited for high RPM,well setup motors. your average aatv motor would detonate,you would likely wind up with a puddle of molten aluminum.
    This is just my opinion, it is not a back yard install, leave it to a pro!
    There are other options if your climbing that high.
    Bruce

RK, I have a fair bit of experience with nitrous and I would not buy one of those kits for my AATV. Reason being is that nitrous is very rich in oxygen and when you inject it directly into the engine it will lean it out and can and does do damage to your pistons, rings and aluminium heads. You need to inject extra fuel at the same time the injection process for the nitrous. If you do not do this correctly, you will end up with a huge puddle of aluminium.
    I wouldn't use it in my truck for towing a trailer up a mountain either. Nitrous isn't really meant to be used for long straight periods of time. If you want to use it, you need to ensure your engine is built to be able to stand the extra cylinder pressures involved and you need a better kit than that guy is selling. Cheers, Al.

I have built & run NOS on many many many of my vehicles! I have seen it used for towing, and still the end result over a long period of time is internal damages. NOS will not only lean out an engine & make it heat up, but can also over rev.. One friend had just put a NOS kit on his truck, and went to test it out. His clutch failed as the HP hit. The motor reved out to 11K before it just slung itself apart! Seeing a Chevy Silverado 454SS leaving parts on the inter state is a golden kodak moment!
    There's a ton of math that goes behind using NOS, and even more preperation. The way that most atv's get away with running it is the simple fact that they can handle the huge HP, RPM, and heat increase. The average atv is built on a standard platform motor that is only changing the bore & stroke to increase CC's. Basically the lower end motors like say a 250cc, has the same basic block as a 450cc. Other motors in vehicles can handle high HP just by accident! I.E.: Honda Civic Japan Spec motors can handle 450/500HP on a stock bottom end!
    I would not suggest it, unless you are planning a rebuild just to do it!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

Greasemonkey hit the nail on the head!!!!! Unless one has the money(or the time to do all the reconstructive repairs), you really don't want to get into the nitrous setup for pleasure AATVing. In competition, maybe. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Nitrous is VERY agressive, and will, as greasemonkey outlined, quickly rip your motor apart from the inside out. (Everything on the inside will end up on the outside) It's like useing battery acid to wash oil stains out of your clothes. Sure it gets the stains out, but it also destroys the fabric. The instant gratification of the feel of that shot of nitrous is nice, but the after affects can be (and usually are) devistating. (Like a hang-over) Don't get me wrong, if you want to play with it, rock-on! But be careful, dip alittle at a time, and keep in mind that if you bite off too much at one time, it WILL definitely cost you dearly. If someone out there routinely runs NOS, please give us you ins-and-outs.

+ Reply to Thread