Argo Avenger issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Argo Avenger issues

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw46 View Post
    Cory, did you ever get your Conquest fixed?? How bout the Voltage?? Ever figure that one out??

Hope to post some pics here next week.

Dennis
    Not yet. It is tore apart further than it was last time I posted. I have parts on the way and should be here this weekend or mid next week at the latest. I went ahead and ordered the alternator kit for it to just be done with it. I have winch and some extra lights so I think the alternator was probably a good investment. I should be back in action weekend after next.

Cory

Good morning RD, Sounds like you have some great adventures out in the bush country which makes an Argo well wouth its money. Yes, there have been lower undercarrage problems with the Avengers since they were introduced in 2004, especially with chains bearings and axles. The change in the tensioners have helped somewhat by making the steps courser and not allowing the tensioner to pop up quite so fast when the machine flexes. The extra horse power coupled with the added weight of the 25 in tires and 9 in rims are the problem since the basic undercarrage is still the same as the Conquest which gave very little problem in comparrison. As far as the transmission problem, this may have been caused by getting into the machine from the right side and accidently hitting the gear shift lever with your foot which inturn can force the gears on the input shaft to force a snap ring off the shaft which holds the gears in place on the input shaft which will cause the gears to lock up sometimes doing damage to several gears. In latter years the shaft was fitted with a snap ring which was a little stronger and the shaft was milled a littlle differently to stop this from happening. Sure would like to make the trip out to that cabin with you guys someday. Have a great day
    Regards
    Ken Where ever we go we Argo

Ken, can you answer a couple of axle questions..

Are the avenger and frontier axles the same part as bigfoot/response/conquest axles, other than the differences in the hub flange construction over the recent years.

I know the location of the machined flat for the brg set screw is different depending on brg extension or not, but am curious if in general the axles of the new machines are the same as say, the last ten years of production. IE, will they interchange.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw46 View Post
    Who would leave a whole Argo out in the Bush?? Glad to hear you like those Frontier tires. I assume they're the same tires as I have on my 07 Frontier. Dennis
    Well, I had to leave MY Argo out in the bush for about 6 weeks last spring, with a broken front axle. High water, bad weather, and waiting on parts prevented me from rescueing it. This other one needs a new head, I have offered to HELP the guy out, but I refuse to just fix it for him, If I'm going to make a 4 hr trip out to work on his machine he can damn well help out a little. As far as I know, he has not even bothered to order any parts.
    My tires are the same as yours, the only differance is that mine are mounted on the Conquest, so they are very close togeather. The front 2 will actually touch each other in some conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bostatv View Post
    Good morning RD, Sounds like you have some great adventures out in the bush country which makes an Argo well wouth its money. Sure would like to make the trip out to that cabin with you guys someday. Have a great day
    Regards
    Ken Where ever we go we Argo
    Thanks for the pointers Ken, much apreciated, I will pass them along to the owner of the Avenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Ken, can you answer a couple of axle questions..

Are the avenger and frontier axles the same part as bigfoot/response/conquest axles, other than the differences in the hub flange construction over the recent years.

I know the location of the machined flat for the brg set screw is different depending on brg extension or not, but am curious if in general the axles of the new machines are the same as say, the last ten years of production. IE, will they interchange.
    The axles are the same, and interchangable. In fact that Avenger has one of my old Conquest axles in it right now. Just before we left on this trip, Carl (Avenger owner) came to get parts to fix an axle bearing. Parts included Housing, Seals, Bearing, and Axle.

RD

I would say the newer axle though is stronger. It has a large flange on the back which is welded to the shaft and the hub providing more strength than the previous ones which were more pressed with single weld.
    But as RockDoc has shown the alignment is the same for the sprockets and bearings.

+ Reply to Thread