Thoughts on CV Tec clutches

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on CV Tec clutches

Thoughts on CV Tec clutches

Kind of a long story especially with my typing skills. Had a 2010 MAX IV with 18 horse briggs and the CV Tec clutches. At around 50 hours it quit climbing, ran around ok most of the time but refused to climb a hill to a friends cabin. I cleaned and sanded the clutches , replaced the belt, checked over the engine ,valves ,compression ,plugs ect. all good. Talked to factory and dealers that were more familiar with the new clutches. Most common recommendation was to put larger engine in the vehicle.
    I pulled the driven clutch and tightened the calibration settings 4 spaces. it was a bit better but would not climb my test hill which is a side of a railroad overpass, very steep and about 40 yards high. I ordered a new set of Salisbury/Comet clutches and installed a red spring in the driven. installed both and test drove it. it will now climb my hill and can stop midway and re start climbing with one person like its supposed to.
    I do like a lot of design on the CVTec clutches but have no idea why this vehicle was so poor a performer. Any thoughts??

Did you have a passenger watch the CV Tech clutch to see if it was gearing down during the stalled climb? If you slow down, like climbing that hill, the secondary clutch should close up forcing the belt to take a larger loop around it and the primary clutch should open wider and the belt will take a smaller loop around it. This allows the engine to rev higher, producing more HP, ie: torque to the wheels. The gearing down is controlled by the weights in the secondary clutch. They may have needed cleaning and lube or heavier weights. You can also mount a camera looking at the clutch / belt assembly to check proper operation.

The clutch shifted properly. After changing the calibration it would only up shift at high speed no load. Belt appeared to slip on drive pulleys even when sanded and clean. I didn't expect to have new clutches fix this one.

+ Reply to Thread