Max iv belt is way too loose can touch the belt togather between the pulleys help!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max iv belt is way too loose can touch the belt togather between the pulleys help!

Max iv belt is way too loose can touch the belt togather between the pulleys help!

I recently purchased a 2003 Max iv 900t with the 25 hp kohler. I have found that the drive belt is way too loose. I can easiliy touch the belt togather between the too pulleys. I have read on here that shimming is often required but I would probably have to move it up at least an inch. I belive I have the right belt based on what I read on this site. It is a Recreatives 018039.

Does any body know what the center to center shaft measurements should be between the drive and driven shaft?

Is there any reason I cant just use a smaller belt?

Please help, there is a snowstorm coming and I hope to plow with it tonight.

018039 is the correct number for your belt. 1116m3 daco if an aftermarket belt that also works. The belt may be just worn or the rubber engine mounts may have failed. A good belt sits in the lower clutch flush to 1/16" below outer diameter. Top width is 1 3/16" when new. Get a flashlight and check your transmission mount bolts also, the two just under the lower clutch. If loose or missing the transmission may pull up if chains are loose. Hope it's just a worn out belt. Roll the belt off the inside of lower clutch then pass it between the body to remove.

the rubber engine mounts are good, and the transmisson mounts are good. The belt measured 1 3/16" The belt does sit down in the lower clutch probably 1/4" Even if the belt is worn, something seems way off. When I pull up tight on the belt there is like a 2" gap between the belt and the top clutch inside shaft.

I bought this from a guy that did a complete tear apart and rebuild, wondering if he reassembled incorrectly and messed up the drive to driven shaft center distance.? I am leaning towards trying a shorter lenght belt.

I would stick with purchasing the correct belt. You may be surprised how worn/stretched the old one can be. At least take the old belt with you to NAPA and compare it with a new one.

Do you have any shims at all under the motor now?

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!
    Quote Originally Posted by machinistbcb View Post
    the rubber engine mounts are good, and the transmisson mounts are good. The belt measured 1 3/16" The belt does sit down in the lower clutch probably 1/4" Even if the belt is worn, something seems way off. When I pull up tight on the belt there is like a 2" gap between the belt and the top clutch inside shaft.

I bought this from a guy that did a complete tear apart and rebuild, wondering if he reassembled incorrectly and messed up the drive to driven shaft center distance.? I am leaning towards trying a shorter lenght belt.
    Where are you located at, your profile doesn't say ?
    The trouble with retirement is.... I never get a day off !!!!

located in Maine

The driven clutch may be assembled wrong. Belt should not be down that low in bottom clutch at rest. Proper belt tension is with 1/16" clearance on center of engine clutch when pulling belt tight for clearance. Anything over 1/4" there is loose and low end suffers. Look into lower clutch and see if the v faces touch each other at the inside of if they are spread apart. They should touch at rest.

Where in Maine are you? I am in the Presque isle area.

Larry

There is about a 1/16" gap bewteen the driven clutch faces

Larry, i am located in Winthrop, just outside Augusta.

+ Reply to Thread