Have #40 thinking #50 but really don't know if should consider #60

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have #40 thinking #50 but really don't know if should consider #60

Have #40 thinking #50 but really don't know if should consider #60

Well I've got #40 chain throughout the Muscateer.

Two drive chains from trans to jack shafts, then two more chains driving the rear axles and two more driving the middle and front axles.

There is a total of near 30 feet all together in chain.

I know I'll have to replace every sprocket in the system so that's quite a few. Thus making the right choice ONCE is imperative.

Thus what chain size is recommended for my machine?

If I go to 50 I could conceivably do 530 O ring eventually. I've got 50 as the mindset right now but all yer experience would be helpful in determining what I might choose.

So really Looking for some suggestions guys...
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

For as small and light of a machine as you have, #60 is way overkill. I would go with #50 but the only concern I would have is how small (total diameter) the sprockets are on your Muscateer. As I've watched your build thread, I am always surprised at some of those little sprockets and how tight of a bend the #40 chain goes in. For #50, you probably won't be able to go that small. Do you have room to increase the size of your sprockets? if you do so equally for the six axles, that would take care of that issue and still keep your gearing the same. It's the drive sprockets that you will have to be careful and calculate the gear ratio.

Mike my size concern was actually the opposite as the sprockets look to be near Scrambler size,

with clearance being an issue especially with 60,

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Mike my size concern was actually the opposite as the sprockets look to be near Scrambler size,

with clearance being an issue especially with 60
    The ones you posted do seem normal size. You made me go back and look. Here's the one I was thinking about that looks like it would be a tight bend in #50. It's the chain closest to the front of the photo with the small sprocket. I guess it's really no different then the jackshaft sprokets on an Argo.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post

with clearance being an issue especially with 60,
    The AXLE sprockets are 38 tooth and there is some clearance left for the sprocket to grow...how much I'll have to measure but the center axle would have the least clearence.

Now that double sprocket on the JACK shaft actually FLOATS on the spline somewhat and will or can move inwards for more side clearance if needed for larger chain

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The ones you posted do seem normal size. You made me go back and look. Here's the one I was thinking about that looks like it would be a tight bend in #50. It's the chain closest to the front of the photo with the small sprocket. I guess it's really no different then the jackshaft sprokets on an Argo.

Yes I agree that's a tight wrap for sure and something of a special sprocket which might need to be fabbed up.

As the machine sits the sprockets are as follows

Trans to Jack shaft is 11 x 22 = 2:1

Jack Shaft to Axle is 12 x 38 = 3.16:1

In #50 I can access the following sprocket sizes somewhat locally. Princess Auto, which is similar to Harbour Freight in US.

15, 16, 17, 18, 22, 24, 26, 28, 32, 36, 42

Idlers are 15 tooth and 17 tooth

I'll work out the ratios fairly close but I may like to pick up a few MPH by changing the overall ratio a bit. I have plans to decrease tyre diameter and use tracks so increasing overall gearing is ok. I would like a bit more than 20 MPH speed on tyres ugh.

The diesel has the torque to move the machine just fine!

As for weight, I'll be taking this to the local scales to get weighed in the near future as it's something I'd like to know.

So do ya all figure 50 is an ok upgrade?
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread