Winter Kit

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter Kit

Winter Kit

Have the Chanel tracks on 25" tires and am thinking about building a winter kit for them. I would like to know as much as possible before I start. Belt width and thickness, space between belts, angle iron size, install tips. I have access to round baler belting 6"wide x3/8" thick, will this work? I am a roast baste me!!!

should work fine
    1.5x 1.5 or 2" x 2" aluminum angle 1/4" thick. 8-10" in length. Bolt them on every 1.5 to 2 feet. Do it with the tracks removed and flat on the garage floor to keep everthing square (the first time. After that it can be done without removing the main track). The aluminum angle can cover most of the main-track outer belt, just keep it a little bit away from the tire sidewall. Leave maybe an inch or so between the outside main-belt and the winter-kit belt. Figure out where to drill the holes in your aluminum angle and do all of those. Lay out your winter kit belt next the your main-track on the ground and start marking/drilling/bolting together. Use an overlap on the winter kit ends. 1.5" bolt lengths, grade-8 1/4" diameter.

Thanks, what is the reason for the 1" gap between the two belts?

you don't have to, it just gives you a little bigger footprint on top of whatever belt width you are using. Snow doesn't quite flow through small cracks like water would. Similar to snow shoes in my mind. It's why some open grouser tracks work very well in the snow despite not having a solid closed surface.

Thanks, If I would use the 6" wide belting that would be plenty wide for me, woud not need the extra gap.

+ Reply to Thread