Allis Terra tiger, just got one

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Allis Terra tiger, just got one

Allis Terra tiger, just got one

Hey all, this is my first post on this site. I normally frequent the allis chalmers board forum. I am OFFICIALLY an old allis tractor nut!!

I read on the other current post, that terra tigers are not as heavy built as other 6x6's. Recently though, It seems like i remember seeing an online auction where a TT brought 1500 bucks or more for a mint condition, with windsheild. Can't remember.

I guess I wanna say we bought this one cause its allis, and cool looking. For now, this should work for our family to haul deer or cruise the back trails. We don't plan on going thru alotta mud or heavy trail riding, this TT will mainly be used to puttz around the farm.

Couple questions.....We noticed the front axles are bent. Anyone ever straighten these on 6x6's before? It was suggested that we (My dad and I) use a press to get fairly accurate.

Also, I have located some good used tires, from what I have been told (Am thankful for the good folks out there that still keep stuff like this)!! Are there any other sources for low pressure floatation one-piece tires (original)? I am sure that gets asked alot. We would like to keep our machine as original as possible, its already in great shape for its age. Also, the model is a TT-18.

We would like an original passenger handle grab bar, if anyone out there has one they would like to part with.

Thanks!! If you can tell us any other info on this girl, please do! We are kinda excited about this project!!

There is a how to thread on axle repair. Basically if the axle isn't too bad you may be able to do a quick fix. A quick fix can be done by pulling the tire off, wrapping a chain around the bent part and using a jack as a fulcrum. I've done it many times over the years. A more damaged axle will not repair via this technique.

Hi Don, Welcome to the forum. Your Terra Tiger looks to be in great shape. The gel coat still looks glossy, and the decals still intact, wow. Are you sure you want to ride it around and risk scratching it? The fiberglass body is heavy, and the axles are small diameter, so bending them may become common depending on how you drive it. The inner axle support is a square housing that holds bushings for both the right and left axles. With no frame in the machine, this housing is just bolted to the floor and often it cracks and busts out. The common fix was a pair of angle iron pieces going from side to side. That spreads the force out to a larger footprint. Your cone clutches are really the weakest part of the machine....And it's not a quick item to replace. The design needs extra spring pressure to work well, but you are limited on how stiff the springs can be. If you get them too stiff it just flexes the side of the machine.
    The balloon tires can be hard to find since they were discontinued many years ago (1970's?). Grab the ones you can find, otherwise you can buy adapters and convert to modern wheels/tires. 3 BOLT TO 5 BOLT ADAPTERS
    The grab handle will probably be very hard to find in good condition. You may have to make a replica.

Your T.T. can be a very fun machine, just remember: It does not have reverse. Most of the areas we ride in on group rides it would perform well enough. You may just have to go around the big mud holes. We all get stuck....it is the challenge of going thru somewhere we shouldn't that is fun. Besides, on a group ride, there is always someone to throw you a line to tow you out if you do get stuck.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Hello Don, I'm a new member too and am just getting into 6x6's. I also have a Terra Tiger TT-18 and have been getting it back in shape. Yours looks to be in in great condition! I'll send some pics when I get a chance as I am constructing a carrier/rack to haul ice fishing gear on the back. I have the engine running and am in the process of installing steering clutches which are not all that bad to do if you have a manual. I just wanted to mention that there was a TT tub with axles, tires, etc. on Craigslist in Minneapolis MN on 9/12 for 150 bucks that may be exactly what your looking for for spare parts.
    Hope this helps. John

Thanks fellas, We won't be destroying this one from abuse at the wheel, but takin it easy. Would like to go through the ponds a couple times for fun, and maybe hit the back trails at low speeds. Nothin crazy.

Hoping to get the axles out this weekend, and put back together. If the tire deal works out, we will be set to go!

Does anyone know what kind of engine shaft is on Terra tiger 18 horse engine Tt18...straight. .tapper.. straight with Threads

It should be a JLO 295/297 and a 30mm tapered shaft.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

when I bought my TT it came with the original clutch but the motor was trash trash trash! anyone need the tapered clutch for cheap its in great shape. just got my terra driving yesterday and its sooo incredibly fun and hits around 35mph and tons of torque with just a 13 hp Honda clone motor. Check out my thread "Terra tiger" by 1963 pengor penguin

+ Reply to Thread