18" rubber argo tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 18" rubber argo tracks

18" rubber argo tracks

Hey, just wondering how many people use 18 inch argo rubber tracks ALL YEAR. If so, how is the steering? ride? wear on tires/chains/bearings?

I have a 2018 8x8 frontier with 26 HP engine

Thanks!!

I have and never had issues for about 100hrs usage on the one machine. It was brand new from start and I always kept up on the bearing carrier tension which would back off about every 25hrs or so. Had more issues with middle tire sidewall flats then anything else. Ended up having to tube all 4 middle tires then it was good for me. Would almost get a flat every other ride until then while trying to plug the sidewalls and all.
    For riding on gravel and all the ride was fine, just trying to turn sharp in tall grass is hard on the drivetrain when putting too much force on it. I find the ride much better on tracks especially the rubber tracks.
    In this situation I would highly recommend running track tuners and keeping up on your tire pressures to keep as much stress off the chains as possible to make them last. The tires will last longer but you may get some sidewall wear which is fairly minimal with Rubber tracks at least.

Wow ok thanks!! Great info, so stuff just got cought on the sidewalls? What Argo do you have/ engine? I will definitely look into the tuners
    Last edited by argo6x6!; 09-23-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Which wheels would track tuners be mounted on with a 6x6?
    I would assume the middle ones?

Correct the middle most ones (single) 6x6 (two) 8x8

I had them on a 2015 700HD 8x8. Seems like for me in my conditions with lots of dead fall and blowdowns that the sticks would get wedged in between the track guides and the sidewalls especially tub side to create pinholes in the tire sidewalls.

Caught me off guard too Mowbizz from his avatar pic but in his OP he said they would be for an 8x8.

So yeah Argo6x6! I had a similar machine except you probably don't have the High Torque 8.4 geared Admiral trans? I do have the 24/26HP carbed motor though, not EFI like yours?

One thing to note, which makes a huge difference I just realized is that with the Admiral trans in High range it makes using tracks in high traction situations way more tolerable. Especially with the High Torque trans, without it there's a lot more stress applied to the driveline especially at low speeds. It would be best not to try and turn on the dime with them and do 3 point turns if not more to turn around with tracks in high traction situations especially with the Classic trans. I don't see you having any issue if you ride on gravel mostly and hardpacked sand/dirt. The rubber tracks even turn surprisingly easy on pavement/concrete even. Just seems bad on them in tall grass, or when the tracks sink past the lugs over the belting of the track. Skidding on the lugs only is easy, even short grass isn't too bad like your lawn and what not.
    Last edited by Sparx; 09-25-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Ok thanks Sparx, and ya no Admiral tranny in mine. frontier le 8x8 26 HP with the classic tranny. BUT it does have a option for a STD or HT tranny and I'm pretty sure that this one has a HT (high torque). I ended up getting the tracks and installed them last night, i will be taking it to my property this weekend... looking forward to it and hopefully don't get anything in the side walls.

Quote Originally Posted by argo6x6! View Post
    Ok thanks Sparx, and ya no Admiral tranny in mine. frontier le 8x8 26 HP with the classic tranny. BUT it does have a option for a STD or HT tranny and I'm pretty sure that this one has a HT (high torque). I ended up getting the tracks and installed them last night, i will be taking it to my property this weekend... looking forward to it and hopefully don't get anything in the side walls.
    I think you'll be fine. I push bush quite a bit plus I have the 25" tires which are 12inch wide instead of 10 like your 24`s. I`ve thought about switching to 24x10ìnch tires for this reason as well.
    Most of the driving I do is cutlines and beaver ponds so I`m endlessly driving over downed trees or around through the bush.

Ok thanks for all the info! I've only had plastic tracks in the passed and was iffy of the 18 inch Argo ones. Almost got a set of Adair pro tracks but ended up with the Argo tracks. Should be real good in the winter

So...how are you liking the 18” rubber tracks? I’m picking mine up this week.

+ Reply to Thread