B&S Vanguard 14HP V-Twin in MAX II (1996) cold start and other issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: B&S Vanguard 14HP V-Twin in MAX II (1996) cold start and other issues

B&S Vanguard 14HP V-Twin in MAX II (1996) cold start and other issues

Had machine in a small engine shop back in Sept and he replaced the starter. He also installed new plugs, though the other were not that old. When the weather was still warm, all was well. So, after several weeks, things were going better.

But I still have an ammeter/lights flickering issue....when idling, the lights flicker, and when running well above idle, they seem to be okay, but I still notice the ammeter bouncing all over the place from literally no charge up to 10A or more. It is almost like a loose connection, but I have not been able to locate it.

And, while running somewhat better, it is still a cold blooded beast, taking 12-25 seconds of cranking before it will start at temps 25-55F. I am afraid to think what it will act like when it really gets cold. As I do not profess to be either an electrician or mechanic, I am at a loss, other than hauling into the guy that I had work on it before, and pay his fees.

Any hints before I load and drag it????

Is the choke cable set correctly? Remove the air filter and watch the choke butterfly when you pull the cable. The butterfly should close completely. If its out of adjustment, it's not choking all the way.

As far as the flicker, does the machine idle smoothly or does it surge any. If there is any surge in the idle you are seeing the charge level go up and down with engine speed.

hey dirtdobber
    Thanks for the come back....the choke cable appears to have been goobered with....( mount/attach point) and try as I may, I cannot get it to close completely....I think that I knew that might be an/the issue.
    As for flickering, the engine, once started and running/warm, idles quite smootly, with no surging, and runs well through all levels of RPM.

I am guessing that I might be better off going back the B&S small engine shop and have them take a look at both issues. They are our local B&S authorized dealer

Ordering a new factory choke cable may help or atleast be a proper start.

Electrically your first 2 points on your machine should be an eyelet on the battery and a glass fuse shortly after that, check both of those for corrosion. If it has a blade fuse under the dash check that for corrosion and go fro there.
    Something is loose or corroded most likely.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

ArgoJim
    Will check that out after the holiday
    Thanks in advance
    Everyone have a good T-Day and do not over eat...leave some for me

+ Reply to Thread