Removing a tracked axle.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing a tracked axle.

Removing a tracked axle.

Hi All,

JUst wondering if anyone can suggest the best way to remove a tracked axle? Specifically the center axle if that makes a difference. They have two external bearings and I'm wondering what to expect? Are they difficult?

Any suggestions appreciated -

Thanks
    David.

What’s it on?
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Sorry, that was kind of dumb of me.... Max2

Once you take the inner bearing,chain and sprocket off slide the axel out along with the two outer bearings and cage all together. It’s easier to fight them after it’s out. Then press off both bearings and cage all together. Make sure you unlock the bearings and support in between both bearings as to not bend the cage while you press.

Thanks Tbone9.

From your description - it sounds like I don't have to fully remove the axle if all I want to do is remove the sprocket - is that correct?

Thanks
    David

If you’re replacing the sprocket you need to slide axel out enough to remove sprocket if that’s all you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post
    If you’re replacing the sprocket you need to slide axel out enough to remove sprocket if that’s all you are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cj7hawk View Post
    Thanks Tbone9.

From your description - it sounds like I don't have to fully remove the axle if all I want to do is remove the sprocket - is that correct?

Thanks
    David
    The center axle in a II is a little fun, remove the 3 chains, remove battery, depending on year remove the set screws and bolt if equipped or loosen the eccentric collar from bearing, remove the bolt/ 2 set screws/ loosen snap rings holding sprocket on, remove the outer bearing flange (3rd bearing support) bolts and in a perfect world the axle should slide out.
    The later splined axle/sprocket combo have a tendency to need a slide hammer to remove. The same have a tendency to need heat to remove set screws if so equipped , not always fun but doable in most cases.
    There are some videos on the home page for example.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread