Play in two of my sprockets... wheel bearings bad?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Play in two of my sprockets... wheel bearings bad?

Play in two of my sprockets... wheel bearings bad?

While doing some maintenance on my 1998 Max II, I noticed there is a little bit of play in two of my sprockets. Both feel slightly loose and there is some wiggle back and forth. I am a novice with this thing and everything about this Max seems way difficult for me. Would this play cause a chain to be very loose? Also, is there a trick I don't know about when replacing a rear chain? Worked on that for a bit today, but could not get it done. Can't get the new chain ends close enough to put in the master link. Thanks in advance.

buck...i'm not sure if your year is a solid or hollow axle . if there is a bolt going thru the sprocket and axle with a nut , it may be the hole is wallowed out. sometimes you can take the bolt out and drill a little bigger hole for a new bolt and get a tight fit then. i don't think a sprocket with a little wobble on the axle would make the chain much looser . that sounds like a worn chain if the tensioner is all the way adjusted tight. to draw a chain together to get a master link in , make sure the tensioner is all the way slacked . i usually use a chain puller tool. some use a heavy cable tie to draw it tight . if you get it together and the chain is super tight without the tensioner on , you may need a new chain or some just add a half link then adjust the tension to take up the slack . is it old chain or new ? johnboy va.

I know exactly what your talking about. I noticed on mine today. I thought maybe the bolt was loose but no. Wondering if this is normal?

sapo...jack up the machine and wiggle each tire to check the axle bearings . on each axle is the outer bearing on the outside of the body and a inner bearing for the axle on the inside of the frame . the inners are harder to do. ( i just changed one on my max 2 . thought it was the one i heard clicking . ends up it was the outer one ) is your sprocket loose on the axle or is the whole axle loose . that's the key to find out . let us know . johnboy

+ Reply to Thread