Broke down and beat up

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broke down and beat up

Broke down and beat up

Last Sun I took my 2002 Max II with the factory rubber tracks installed out for what was supposed 2b a short ride. 2 minutes into the timber I was belly hung on two small downed trees( maybe 4" in dia ea.) lying side by side and surrounded by uneven soft ground and droves of weeds, poison ivy and thorn bushes. So, because my wife and kids always harass me about being over prepared and paranoid I thought WTH maybe they're right maybe I do go overboard when it comes to things like this and I'm only going barely over a mile from the house. So off I went wearing shorts, one bottle of water, no tools, no extra equipment, rain gear or anything and next thing I know I've broken the passenger side jack shaft chain and the drivers side trans seal has worked it's way partially out and leaking all over. Winching out would've taken hours and like I said I wasn't prepared for that so I walked out and left my machine. By the time I got to open walking ( RR tracks) I was bloodied from the gazillion different thorn bushes I encountered. I was able to get out the next day via the winch and a lot of extra rigging and tools but it still took 5 hours!!! So other than the pure stupidity I displayed what are some thoughts anyone may have regarding the failures I experienced with the broken jack shaft chain and trans seal backing out? What contributes to chain breakage and what would cause the trans seal to back out? Thanks in advance for any feedback...Cup

Which jackshaft chain? Horizontal or Vertical? As far as seals I've found when they start pushing out its cause the vented plug isn't working.

Output shaft seals usually pop out if trans was very hot. Was it making any noise that sounded like a belt slipping? Jackshaft chain probably broke from shock loading, trying to turn hard or very fast. The seal can probably be worked back in with flat bars against the sprocket. If you can get it back in stake it in with a center punch. I’ve been so stuck on trees it’s ridiculous. Learned to cross at an angle after jumping a wheeled vehicle over a tree about 10” on dry flat road and sitting there for help. Good luck with repairs.

Lol didn't know there was more than one jack shaft chain on each side! The vertical chain on the passenger side is the one that broke. When I breezed thru the trans manual I read something about a vent and that actually occured to me that it may be plugged but figured I'd wait and see what the knowledgeable folks here had to say 1st b4 I ran with that notion.
    Thanks for the info, appreciate it greatly. Cup

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    Output shaft seals usually pop out if trans was very hot. Was it making any noise that sounded like a belt slipping? Jackshaft chain probably broke from shock loading, trying to turn hard or very fast. The seal can probably be worked back in with flat bars against the sprocket. If you can get it back in stake it in with a center punch. I’ve been so stuck on trees it’s ridiculous. Learned to cross at an angle after jumping a wheeled vehicle over a tree about 10” on dry flat road and sitting there for help. Good luck with repairs.
    That would make complete sense because I was gettin on it pretty good trying to get unstuck and I'm sure the trans was hot. And damn if you didnt hit the nail on the head! It was making that belt slipping or squealing noise for a couple wks but it only seemed to do it on concrete while going backwards and circling to my right. When it would do that I'd ease up on everything and try to do it real slow and while rolling a little. Figured something was slightly out of adjustment and didnt worry about it. I'm not that much of a dumb@$$ usually so dont judge me please lol. What should be my next move? I'm thinking tune up or overhaul of the trans and obviously a new chain or chains?
    Thanks for the much appreciated info so far...Cup

For sure change fluid. I usually see seals blown out by someone who rode the bands hard downhill and boiled the fluid. Expect the fluid to be real black. When back together the drop chains need to be quite tight to keep them from climbing onto The lower sprocket.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    For sure change fluid. I usually see seals blown out by someone who rode the bands hard downhill and boiled the fluid. Expect the fluid to be real black. When back together the drop chains need to be quite tight to keep them from climbing onto The lower sprocket.
    The color wasn't all that bad really, reddish brown almost rust colored maybe. According to any transmission fluid color chart I've ever seen that reddish brown isnt too bad. But maybe that doesn't apply here. Eitherway, I plan on changing it because I have no idea when it was done last and it needs topped off now anyway due to the leak. Well, I'll replace the chain and change the fluid and go from there. Thanks again...Cup

it's even harder on these machines with tracks on . we have all be stuck , stranded and broken down ..but always get the machines out and back home and repaired . i guess it's all part of the '' fun '' . glad your back on it . johnboy va.

+ Reply to Thread