How practical for a newbie?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How practical for a newbie?

How practical for a newbie?

I’ve bought my first Argo 2012 Frontier 650. I was pretty sure the sump gasket needed replacing plus there were other obvious gaskets as well. The machine had sat in a shed for over 5 years. I have minimal mechanical experience and set about removing the engine and now have it removed and on a bench. I have a full gasket kit and have read that it’s only sensible to replace all gaskets/seals.
    Question...have I bitten off more than I can chew? Time is running out. I also have to work out a lag in throttle as well when it’s back together. Am I sensible to just take it to the shop and get them to finish the job or is it simple now? My confidence level has taken a hit with how slowly I’m going to remove things, and remember how to put it back together. Taken lots of pictures but .....
    Thanks

Congrats on tackling this project. If you have only minimal mechanical experience I recommend taking it to a shop. It is not as simple as taking things apart and putting them back. When you tear an engine apart it has to go back together correctly - such as the valve timing. A trained mechanical eye will see details such as ring groove or cylinder scarring or damage to a crank journal. Gasket surfaces have to be spotless to ensure a good seal. I don't know which engine you have but some engines have known-to-fail part that should be replaced (like plastic gears). If you decide to do this yourself, you must get a technical manual to guide you step by step. And, folks on this site will help you along. Good luck!

Just to play Devils advocate to Dirt Dobber, I would say to go ahead and push forward. If all you're looking to replace are seals, then you've already done the hardest part which is pulling the engine. If you find that you're struggling to progress, then don't worry about replacing all the seals. At around 10 years old, your machine is still relatively new and replacing all the seals is probably unnecessary. I would say it's more important for you to get it back together and get some time behind the seat before you invest too much time and money into doing seal maintence. I would just do the sump gasket and slap it back together. If you notice a substantial oil leak in a few years, haul it back out again and take another look. leaking seals are pretty minor overall, it's not like a broken axel that could leave you stranded in the woods. "Project creep" & "While I'm in here..." can be a real issue when working on Argo's. For reference, my motor is over 30 years old now and the original seals are still good. I've seen a few of your posts here, looks like you're investing a lot of time into getting your machine up and running the way you like it - just don't forget to enjoy using it in the mean time! There's always one more thing to do on an Argo, it's part of why I like them so much.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    I don't know what engine you have, but I would not get too excited about the job. With the engine out on a bench, it is not that big of a job. There are plenty of tutorals on utube on how to change seals, gaskets etc. First determine where the oil is coming from. I have not heard of many Vanguard engines, if that what it is, ìn my experiences with the horizontal engines leaking oil. That being said, make sure of where it is leaking from. I have come across oil leaks because the oil filter has come loose or a bad oil fitter seal. It doesn't matter what engine you have, they all have problems, they all can leak or go for a crap in different ways. If you are going to own an Argo or some such machine you will be wrenching. I bought mine mostly for a project. If you decide to tackle the job, don't be afraid to ask questions. There is great wealth of knowledge on this forum. And as Terrell says , It ain't the space shuttle. Remember, there are no stupid questions about this stuff. If unsure...ask. If you don't understand, ask again. Take pictures as you go for reference. Study different tutorials. As someone already mentioned, clean everything really good, take your time, and don't FORCE anything back together by putting the bolts in and pulling the cover on with them. If I can do this stuff, pretty much any one can. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for both opinions. For me to have it sorted now I’ve gone to the effort of getting it out is important. Ive run out of time to keep learning so it’s gone to get serviced at the shop.
    Again I’m grateful for the advice!

Picked up motor, was told the main gasket was sucked in causing leak. The newer version of gasket is wider bought and installed. Engine needs to be reinstalled when time permits.

+ Reply to Thread