Comments on my new Argo 6x6 700 Frontier Scout

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comments on my new Argo 6x6 700 Frontier Scout

Hybrid View

Should have come to Busco, you would have been happy with conditions.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Bush Tracks have been installed: Updates on my on my 6x6 Frontier: Okay so I have installed the Alaska Bush tracks with swim paddles and had a chance to test them in some pretty extreme mud and swamp conditions and these are my observations:

1. These are extremely aggressive tracks and I have not run into any deep mud that even gives them a challenge. The machine knocks down cattails and digs into mud like they were not there. Because the grousers (and belts) go down so far on the tires I can haul ass down the trails without worrying about the grousers touching the body (this was always a concern, with Adair's because the track could rock on the tire and come into contact with the tub damaging the tub)

2. The tracks are loud, they really let you know they are there.

3. They do suck up power but all tracks do; but even with tracks on I can still hit GPS indicated speeds of 20 mph which is extremely surprising to me (I never had a 6x6 with tracks that could get down the trail that fast)

4. They don't swim well, I can get about 1mph GPS indicated speed in water, that speed does not cut it the areas I go into so I plan to break down the tracks and run the track as a Half Track with the front two tires tracked and the back tires in swim position. I am hoping I can get a two MPH swim speed in that configuration. I seriously doubt that I will ever be challenged in mud conditions with this half track configuration. I am told that using this half track configuration takes very little power away from the machine and gives the machine a very tire like feel (I will let you know after I test it)

thanks dan for the update ..i like the way those tracks are performing for mud etc. also that the grousers are deep and give confidence of not coming off easily . i like half tracks , so looking forward to how that works out . any videos would be great to see . johnboy

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    thanks dan for the update ..i like the way those tracks are performing for mud etc. also that the grousers are deep and give confidence of not coming off easily . i like half tracks , so looking forward to how that works out . any videos would be great to see . johnboy
    \Working on it John Boy

I have decided to go with the Half track system, using the half track system the machine will run at a GPS indicated top speed pf 23 MPH, unbelievably fast for a tracked 6x6. Turns better with the half tracks then it does with tires and I get a GPS indicated 2 KPH in the water. Not quite as fast in the water as I would like but I can work with it. Half track system gives the machine almost as much available power as running with tires.

Seems to mud really well and is FUN to drive on the trail. I really won't be able to get a good feel for the mudding until I am around a lot of other machines.

More: Argo still hasn't got the heat issues on the Briggs totally sorted out yet, the machine has already back fired on me and got so hot coming out of my pond that the engine started to miss and then shut down. I let the machine sit a few seconds half in and half out of the water. I didn't know if the machine would start again or not. Thank god it fired missed several times for about a minute and than started to run properly again. I have had these heating conditions with the Briggs engine before, maybe I was just running the machine to hard, never the less a stalled machine on the trail is a very uneasy feeling.

same with the 21 hp briggs in my max 2 highboy runs good when not to hot out ..but when running for hrs. in warm weather like at busco sometimes , i have to run the fan . that takes care of it . so are you running the half tracks on the front tires ? always wondered if front or back works any better . jboy

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    same with the 21 hp briggs in my max 2 highboy runs good when not to hot out ..but when running for hrs. in warm weather like at busco sometimes , i have to run the fan . that takes care of it . so are you running the half tracks on the front tires ? always wondered if front or back works any better . jboy

Hey John, I am running them on the front tires, I am not sure if it makes a difference

+ Reply to Thread