the right AATV(S) for me

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the right AATV(S) for me

the right AATV(S) for me

i just got my first and already want more! i'd like to hear from the experts before i buy anything else. pros and if there are any cons of the different machines that you guys have. i like to go fast, but primarly want to trail ride. are there any that swim better than others. i loved the looks i got yesterday when i drove my Terra Tiger down the ramp and into the lake at a crowded boat launch!
    let me know what you like best. thanks.

Those looks you get at the lake are priceless! As for the different six wheelers, I think it's safe to say that there is no six wheeler that does all of those the best. It's always a bit of a trade-off and really the best thing you can do is try to ride in different ones and decide for yourself which one you like the best.

You will usually sacrifice something, for example, speed for torque and "trailability" at least when it comes to stock machines or maneuverability for stability.

As for the water speed part that usually depends mainly upon which tires you have more than the machine itself. There again though there is really no perfect tire that goes through the mud the best while also giving you the best speed in the water.

I think if you just look through the forums for a while you will start to see, especially in the videos, which ones do what the best. That may seem like a bit of a cop-out answer but it really is true.

First of all, Im glad to hear that you caught the 6 wheeler fever. It is never ending! I am a big fan of three big brands, Max, Hustler, and Attex. They all are excellent machines, the parts are still readily available, and they are all very tough. Attex made fast machines that many people turn into racers with a bucket seat, 5 point harness, roll cage, and a big 2 stroke twin cylinder engine. Hustlers and Max AATVs are both mainly utility machines, although some Maxes were used for racing and were quite fast. The 2 passenger Max II machines can be fast and they can be utility machines as I mentioned. Hustlers and Max IV 6 wheelers are good people movers that you can go mudding with all your friends. All of these machines shared the famous and bullet proof Borg Warner T-20 Skid Steer transmission. Most Attex machines from 1971 to the mid 80's used them as well, although 1969-1970 Attex used the Baker Hill power transmissions, which were good units, and in the last few machines they produced in the mid 80's they used their own GT-1 and GT-2 transmission (these transmissions were problematic, and not very common). I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, post them up.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

thanks for the input. i know that i want a t-20, and reverse. motor is not a big deal, but 4 stroke is my preffrence. i build race car engines for a living, and lawn mower engines for a side buisness. so far i'm leaning toward the hustler. i like the extra seating and if i need to go fast i'll build more HP!! it will be spring before i have any extra cash for one. hopefully i can find one south of the mason dixon line, but i drove to buffalo for my terra tiger.
    keep the info coming. thanks

I think you would be happy with a Hustler but don't rule out a Max IV or an Argo either. If you are patient you can find some fairly late model Max and Argos for a comparable price. Just some food for thought.

Where in Buffalo did you go to get your Terra Tiger? Hustlers were built in Jonesboro, Arkansas so there are a lot of them in the south. And like Mike said, take a look at Max IV's. They have T-20's too and they're good machines. I have owned both Hustlers and Max IV's and both are good machines.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

that's the kind of input i need. it may be a while before i buy so i have time to hear you guys out and make a decision. not sure of the town my terra tiger was in, but from the guys yard i could have thrown a rock into the parking lot of the bills stadium

Brian, if you want to get a feel for them, I happen to know where you could get a ride in a Max II and Max IV

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    that's the kind of input i need. it may be a while before i buy so i have time to hear you guys out and make a decision. not sure of the town my terra tiger was in, but from the guys yard i could have thrown a rock into the parking lot of the bills stadium
    I think I know exactly where you mean. It is in Orchard Park, NY. That guy has a lot of old cars and other unique toys there.

mike, hopefully we can get together soon and i can give those max's a try.
    swift, the guy was in orchard park, but no cool old cars. he worked on jet skis and snowmobiles on the side

+ Reply to Thread