Hustler Speed question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler Speed question

Hustler Speed question

I've been wokring on my Hustler for a while and now it's mostly together. I have a question that how fast should this machine run. I has the Kohler 16 HP 4-stroke engine still very strong. T20 transmission. 4 good tires and two bad ones. these two not really carrying any load since they look normal like the others without any air in them. I can measure the speed of the drive pully and the driven pully with a optical tachometer. Please let me know at full thottle on a flat surface with 200# load, what is the Engine RPM, Transmission RPM and vehicle speed should be normally. The reason is not trying to go faster but to ensure there is no big issue such as (transmission, wrong belt, clutches, ....).
    Thank you in advance.

What kind of Hustler and what size tires does it have?

I thiink it is around 1984. It is a 950 because it has the vents on the sides? It has 21x11x8 tires. For a nomal machine, assume it can make it, what max engine RPM you set for the K341QS? and when you going full thottle, what is the RPM on the transmission normally?
    Thanks

Sounds like my 950 but I'm kinda new to amphibs. Mine also has the k341qs. I had to rebuild mine though and I borrowed a repair manual for the k-series engines from a friend. It said the max engine RPM is 4000(according to the reading "it is unsafe to operate engine above 4000 RPM"....). As far as speed I have no idea, I dont have mine put together yet.....
    Last edited by Stonewall; 10-15-2009 at 12:33 AM.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Thanks - I'll check see what this engine can run (RPM) under load. Let me know when your engine is together. I'm trying to find out if my machine working properly. Thank you.

Well I got my Kohler running this morning. I'm not exactly sure what it was that you wanted me to help you with. The k341 is pretty basic as far as gasoline engines are concerned. I'll be happy to help you with it however I can.
    1974 Honda ATC 70

stonewall - I want to know once you get the whole machine running. what is your engine RPM and vehicle speed at full throtle on the flat.

Well I will be able to tell you the speed. (I'll have someone drive right behind me in a pickup or sumthing with a speedo.....) But I dont have any way to tell you the RPM, unless you know how to hook up an electric tach to one of these engines. (I just happen to have one of these lying around.....) I will have it running as soon as I can get parts for the transmission from Recreatives.
    1974 Honda ATC 70

For engine/trans RPM, a Harbor Freight digital Tach is perfect, only bout $35-$40. It comes with the reflector stickers, you can stick them one on the drive pully, one on the transmission pully and even one on the belt and you can tell the RPM of all these. For speed, a GPS would be best. Thanks

Im not sure i understand the whole point of this. If you want to know how fast it goes, the max RPM of the k341 with the governor is 4000. Call recreatives and ask them the input/output gear ratio of the t-20. Use you digital tach to determine the RPM of the engine at full throttle with the trans in neutral. (if it is 4000, your engine is running right) While you check engine RPM, also check the RPM of the trans clutch, and use the ratio you got from Recreatives to determine the speed of the output shafts. Count the teeth on the trans and larger middle axle sprockets. Divide the smaller number into the larger number. (this gives you the number of times the smaller sprocket must go all the way around for the larger one to go around once) One rotation of the axle sprocket = 1 axle RPM. Now take the diameter of your tires and multiply it by PI(~3.14) then multiply that by the shaft RPM and divide the total by 60. This gives you the approximate inches traveled per second. Now convert the inches to feet (divide by 12...) and divide the FPS by 1.4667. This will give you the speed of your machine in MPH.
    1974 Honda ATC 70

+ Reply to Thread