OK, I got that crazy flywheel off last night, simple as pie. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what this is. The curve it tighter than that of the flywheel magnets, plus mine are intact. I don't see anything missing on my motor, nor anything like it on my parts engine I got from Don. It's really got me stumped. I'm no stranger to motors but this is my first time under the flywheel of a JLO L-295 so who knows what it may be.
It's attracted a little to the magnets, but not to steel so if it was magnetic it's lost it, but it doesn't look or feel metal, more like a hard composite or MAYBE ceramic like a magnet??

I went under the recoil starter and see nothing like it either (I tore open my spare too) I didn't take the reel off since the spring can be unfriendly, and I won't unless someone knows for A FACT it's from under there. I can't rule out it's a foreign object from something else but that would be a real freak coincidence, and I was not close enough for it to be shrapnel from the pump at Busco April '09 (Sorry McCoy, I couldn't resist) (If this went 200 feet to get into my motor that would be FREAKY)