Chains getting tight then slack as wheels turn

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chains getting tight then slack as wheels turn

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    This is very odd Not so familiar with the hustler model. Are the sprockets welded to the axle and was it welded that far off center? Just curious.
    The sprockets are welded to sleeves which slide over the axle, they use the bolt through the sleeve/axle like the early Max's did, seems they had a similar disfunction also. I've never gone to the trouble to check if the sprockets are not centered on the sleeves, or if the bore in the sleeve is not true(or both). Maybe they just used a schedule 40 pipe and cut pieces to length and didn't worry with truing up the bore, would have saved them some time I guess. But as far as I know this is a common thing, mine are the same way on both the 950 & 980

Heg155, have you ever had the sprocket off this axle? It could be that the sprocket assembly was at one time put on backwards, which would certainly cause problems!

brushcutter, no I have never done anything on this except put gas in it. this is the first overhaul of the machine.
    ________
    Web Shows
    Last edited by Heg155; 08-24-2011 at 11:59 AM.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    So... by "offset" you mean off centered? Right?

Not offset to the side?

If so, and you never noticed the T-L-T problem, and you've never had the chains off, then an interesting point surfaces. This would mean that the guys that originally assembled your machine would have had to have clocked the sprockets during the original build. Which in turn would prove that they KNEW their sleeve/sprocket assembly was off center to begin with, and this was a problem that occurred frequently AND that my theory/solution is based in fact to the extent that the builders fixed this problem the same wya at the plant.Sorry for the spelling t'si rhad ot splel when you're patting yourself on the back

What do you mean by "clocked" I realized just recently that my Attex has this problem on long rear chain. I could never maintain the tension I wanted. Last time I adjusted it I spun to average it out.

Read brushcutters reply from earlier
    ________
    Hot_Naomi cam
    Last edited by Heg155; 08-24-2011 at 12:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread