Poll! What causes outer axle bearing failure?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

View Poll Results: What is the cause of outer axle bearing failure?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Contamination (water, dirt, ect)

45 84.91%
  • Structural (bearing too small for application)

4 7.55%
  • Other, please explain

4 7.55%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Poll! What causes outer axle bearing failure?

What would you guys consider an acceptable number of hours for an outer axle bearing to last under normal AATV use. How about one with tracks and extended bearings?
    Last edited by kgrant; 02-07-2009 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiman1 View Post
    Also, beware of cheap foreign bearings.. lets say a bearing is 14.00 but a "cheap" bearing is 6.00 You get what you pay for too... The same with "made in china " chains too....
    And tools, as per my "Taiwan Teddy" Ratchet photo post, sometimes, what you pay for is a busted knuckle(didn't break this time, I did once, though). As per Whipper I will be using Diamond Chain and Timken/Fasner bearings, all made in the USA!

OH, normal lifespan? IMHO there isn't one. How you ride, what conditions, do you swim and how much, how often you grease, how much load, do you tow, how much with and without tracks?..... Way too many variables in my opinion, just check for slop or notchiness periodically.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

I don't know how other AATV's are setup, but on my Hustler the bearing is what locates the axle in the vehicle. So, at times there will be a very high thrust load on the bearing, which from what I can find, is something that this type of bearing isn't designed to handle.

I know there are better bearing setups for this application. Why are they using the same type of bearings that were used in the 70's? Maybe it isn't cost effective to redesign them? Maybe there isn't a need to and I'm just trying to reinvent the wheel?

I would say that Argo has the best sealing setup. What does argo use for a bearing? I know that Max uses the same type that my Hustler is using.

What is the Muddox using for a seal/bearing?

Do they all use the bearing to locate the axle?

Here is a link to some information I found on bearing load vs life calculations. They talk about thrust near the bottom.

http://www.iptci.com/pdf/Bearing%20Selection.pdf
    Last edited by kgrant; 02-09-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Ive already tried those type e bearings from the company dodge..i tried them about 16 years ago.. And they are ok for a few years but the housings are brittle..and then they fall apart...of course they have to be milled flat before you can install them....good try though

+ Reply to Thread