what's the better buy?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what's the better buy?

what's the better buy?

still deciding ....1988 magnum 300hrs (yes very low for age) machine in excellent shape but needs canvas top replaced (Frame good) needs winch and tracks for $4500 OR a 2000 Conquest also in excellent shape has just about every option ecxept tracks for $8000.00

want opinions

prinary use will be trucking the kids around the bush for fun.

I would lean toward the Conquest, I really like mine.
    I could be mistaken in some assumptions, but here is why I would lean to the Conquest:
    Bearing extentions on Conquest
    Alternator kit on the Conquest ??
    Heater kit on the conquest ??
    Top in good shape on the Conquest
    Single 60 Drive Chain to the back 2 wheels on Conquest (handles "body twist" better than double 50 chain)
    Winch and mount already to go on the Conquest
    Larger motor in the Conquest (This helps, if you upgrade to 24" tires)
    Hydraulic brakes on the Conquest
    Conquest is 12 yrs newer.
    Conquest will have machined shoulders on the axles to prevent axle slide through bearings.
    New style chain tensioners on Conquest

That's about all that comes to mind right now. I doubt that you would be able to upgrade the Magnum to this for the extra $3,500.00

I think Rock Doctor has covered several of the reasons why the Conquest is the better choice of the two that you have compared. You may want to considered getting parts down the line. Conquest parts will be supported by Argo for several more years, at least more than the Magnum will be supported.

I don't know what the availability of Conquests is like in your area or what the market will bear come price wise. I do know that there are Conquests out on the market much newer than the Magnums that are in the same price range as the Magnum you are looking at.

For instance, located in my area was a 1997 Conquest, 310 hrs., full tundra canopy top, winch, super tracks with ice cleats. It was listed at $4250 and sold for $3850.

Max 6 Wheel Drive

Thanks for the info. I was leaning toward the conquest because it's alot newer but the older one is in really good shape and alot less money. The conquest has a plow, front brush gaurd and boat rack as well so, as I said, it's pretty much optioned out. I'm in southern Ontario and I think these are priced right for this market I have been shopping a for a while. The only $4000 argo's I see are 80's models, anything in the 90's jumps to 6500 and up. I have seen a few turn over at these prices.

+ Reply to Thread