Sierra Trail Boss questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sierra Trail Boss questions

Question Sierra Trail Boss questions

Hello all, this is my first time posting but I have been getting info from the site for a few months now. I have always been interested in an AATV since I was a kid and now that I have the ability to get one I have been shopping around. There is a sierra trail boss that I would like to buy. They are asking 1000 dollars obo, the guy said it ran but it needs a coil now. He has no time to ride it so he is letting it go. He already bought a replacement coil for it but since he has no time to ride it also has no time to fix it. I have been on and off with the guy vie text and phone and has been about a month now and we haven't been able to meet so I can see the machine. To make a long story short he gave me his address and told me to go see it without him being there.
    I plan to go tomorrow and that I want to know if there is anything in particular that I would need to look for. I have found plenty on pictures online so that I know what they are suppose to look like.

I'm very mechanically inclined and having it not running is not an issue for me, in fact I prefer something to work on because it’s cheaper, more fun for me, and easier to convince the wife to get it since it won't cost so much. I'm concerned about the transmission. I read that I would have to get parts machined out if I need replacement parts.

My main questions are

Is $1000 a fair price if it’s in ok shape and really is just the coil that bad?

Can the transmissions be replaced with another model that is more serviceable?

there are no pictures untill I go see it and take my own inwhich I will post them when I get a chance.

Thanks in advance for any info provided.
    Last edited by aj143240SX; 11-19-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added more info

Welcome AJ,

Good questions, and you've begun to do your own research which is a great step. The subject of a "fair" asking price is pretty subjective, and depends on inherent value to the person and your mechanical ability which, you've stated is high. JeffT-boss, and other TrailBoss fans will have more to offer on specific TrailBoss issues, so hopefully they'll chime in. I would say, personally, that for that price, I'd like to have the machine running, even if it IS just a coil. Go take a look at it yourself, and dig around a lot to see if you think it's just a coil. Is it using the stock two stroke engine, or has it been revamped? How are the tires on it? With a TrailBoss, I think you're quite limited in tire size.

The transmissions can't EASILY be replaced with a more modern unit. Of course, it's all just metal and plastic and rubber, but EASILY? MMMM.... No.

As you've probably discovered by reading over the past month, costs can escalate quite quickly if you need to replace a few bearings, maybe a couple/few tires, a coil, maybe some chain.... "OK" shape is relative, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Got grab a few shots of it, and go over it with a very prejudicial, fine-toothed comb.

Good luck!
    ~m

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow I will post some pictures up then. The owner stated that it still has the original Kohler engine. I'm going to do a compression check and a good visual with lots of pictures.

I forgot to ask a very important questions. Registration, apparently back in the 70's these didn't need a title. I never owned an atv but am aware that they need to be registered. I'm thinking a good bill of sale with a serial number and a notary should suffice. Any ideas or tips on that?
    Last edited by aj143240SX; 11-19-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Welcome to the club aj. And congrats on your find. However, and this is all just my honest opinion. $1000.00 is a bit high for ANY 6x6 that doesn't run or move. (As it sits, I wouls offer $5-6 hundred.) Especially a trail boss. Getting it to run is one thing, but getting it to move is another. The biggest downfall for the T-boss was probably the transmissions. (And still is since they stopped making them back in the 70's. I think it was the 70's.) Richard's relics will sell you a used one if you need it, but his price is high, ($350.00 when I inquired 4 years ago.) and you will probably have to rebuild it anyway. Some of the members here probably have spares. There are also two different styles of trannies. Simply put, "Old" and "New". The only difference is the braking band system, and you really won't know which one you have until you open one up. At this point, there is no need to get to deep into it. We'll cross that bridge later. You mentioned that you have the parts needed (Coil?) to get it running. See if the seller is willing to let you install for testing, to get it running and see if you can make it move. The only things you can do to check the trannies without the boss running is to check the movement of the laterals/sticks. Push them all the way forward, and pull them all the way back. Note as to wether they both move the same distance in both directions, and the resistance you feel at the end of travel in each direction. They really shouldn't move much more than 5-6 inches from full forward to full rear position. If movement is the same, or very close, in both trannies, they are probably worth reworking. And there is a fill plug on the inboard sde of both trannies. Pull the plug and stick a piece of stiff wire or wire tie down inside and check the fluid condition. Beware of metal flakes and/or dark/burnt fluid. The biggest failure in the trannies is probably the braking bands. Which can be relined if you have the newer style. Also grab the input shaft(s) and give them a good push/pull. Check for slop in the bushings. And check to see if the input and output seals show signs of major leaking. If so, it could mean input/output bushings are worn. New bushings can be made if need be. I'm not trying to discourage you, or talk you out of buying it; just trying to give you a quick "T-boss 101" briefing on what might be ahead of you. I do hope things work out for you, and you do end up with a 6x6 that you can work on and enjoy. If you need any other help, I'll be more than happy to give you a hand. Just post or PM me. As far as registration goes; that differs from state to state. Some do, some don't require it. You'll have to call your local DMV or DNR/Game warden.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Thank you for all the great info. I was suppose to go see the T-boss but the seller never answered the phone. It is an hour away from my house and i didn't want to waste the gas. Hopefully he will call me back soon.

I looked around online and there are no dealers here for any AATV. If anyone ever knows of a 6x6 thats for sale in southern florida let me know.

Don't give up. Just stay on top of the seller. Hope all works well for you.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

+ Reply to Thread