hustler 980 wont climb

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hustler 980 wont climb

hustler 980 wont climb

I just bought a hustler bigfoot 980 and im not happy with it the guy i bought it from said he just rebuilt everything on it. It wont go up a hill or cant climb out of the water the belt for the clutches has alot of slack how tight is it suppose to be its a brand new belt

The belt should fit pretty tight. Anything over an inch of deflection when your pushing on it and its probably the wrong size belt or warn.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

should it be tight without it running a video i saw had the groves of the belt up mine are down and when they reved it up the belt drew down into the clutch this is my first 6x6 and i know nothing about it

Dayco belt website: ATV and Snowmobile Belts - by Dayco
    Are you pushing forward on the sticks? You have to when climbing etc. or the bands in the t-20 are just slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by cjlemay View Post
    .... this is my first 6x6 and i know nothing about it
    We'll get you fixed up. The grooves on the belt face inward, toward the clutches. The belt on the video you saw must have flipped over, which can happen when the clutches aren't aligned correctly.

With your Hustler in neutral, rev the engine up (don't put your head directly over the clutches; clutch and belt explosions are nasty). The belt should move to the top (outside) of the engine clutch as the clutch engages, and move downward into the clutch on the transmission. If the belt isn't moving all the way to the top of the clutch on the engine, something is stopping it from doing so (loose belt, sticking clutch, etc.). We'll do this as a first step, and see what it's doing.

~m

You may have seen a video with high performance snowmobile belt. They are slightly grooved on the outside for heat dissipation. Like Hydromike said on a normal belt smooth side out, grooved side in. Have no fear the people on this board will get you fixed up. How about some additional info about what the previous owner "fixed up". Also visit the how to on uploading picture. Videos and pictures are worth a thousand posts
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

+ Reply to Thread