Bearing Change

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Bearing Change

LOL Thanks for the info Charlie.Mine is a 2003 Max II.I found my bearing job to be magnified at every turn by the bearing cages.One-third more work and expense and impossible to pull the axles without pulling bearing cage and all.They installed easily enough when the two outer bearings were loose in the flanges but pushing into the inner bearing stiffened them up quite a bit.Then I could move the axles in and out fairly easily but again stiffened up once the bearing flanges were torqued.The bearing flange(inner) and chain install on the left rear (muffler side) was extremely difficult as I couldn't even see the flange nut forward under the engine. I'm feeling mechanic's guilt on this flange as I was lucky to even get a socket on it once and when I did I tightened it completely before tightening the rear nut.It seems to be OK but all others I tightened each side a bit one by one.To get the socket on two extensions with a u-joint took appx. an hour.In truth I found this bearing job challenging to say the least.
    LOL Charlie,I'll do my future assemblies and yours too if I can get you to drop by and do the disassembly and prep work.

ya I allways pull the motor when I'm doing a brg job, helps get at all the brg flanges
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

It was difficult but not impossible I think leaving the engine in was less work overall.I spent many years working in cramped spaces on warships,connecting sophisticated electrical equipment with a mirror sometimes LOL,similar to that flange on the Max. I really appreciate our communiquees on the Max, Charlie you and Mike and a lot of others here are sort of Max gurus to me LOL.

+ Reply to Thread