Any recommendations for (or against) beadlocks?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any recommendations for (or against) beadlocks?

Any recommendations for (or against) beadlocks?

I'm spec'ing out an new avenger and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for (or against) beadlock rims?

TIA

Argo's 9" wheels used to be lousy for holding a tire bead.. the early Avengers and all Bigfoots. Someone mentioned that argo may have improved their wheels, I don't know. If there are any Avenger owners that can run 2 psi in the rough and not lose a bead I'd like to hear about it. The only real 9" beadlock wheels I know of are aftermarket, and available from Matt Oxender. mattacr@yahoo.com

As far as pros and cons, it's all pro for the beadlocks. Being able to air down when not loaded heavy lets the rubber meet the road, so traction and ride quality is a world of difference.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    As far as pros and cons, it's all pro for the beadlocks. Being able to air down when not loaded heavy lets the rubber meet the road, so traction and ride quality is a world of difference.
    Exactly! Being able to run 0 psi and not worry about losing a bead is priceless. The ride quality alone is worth that. Then add in the traction and there is no reason not to.

The only con I could ever think of is if you have to mount the tires yourself. The beadlocks make it a little more difficult to get the bead to seat.

I have seen the pictures and read articles or beadlocks for aatv's.
    I guess my question is does anyone make beadlocks like they run on offroad and rockcrawler vehicles. I had a set on my jeep,they are out there for atv's.
    The bolt on ring is a tried and true item. From what i've read the retaining lip style on aatv rims works, but I haven't any experience with them yet, so inquiring minds want to know.
    Opinions from those who know?

Bruce

Bruce, I don't know of any with the rings but I can speak for the "k" rim style. I can run them at 0psi and I have never lost a bead. On the Max IV without the "k" rims I have lost a bead 3 different times and I only use the Max IV for fishing not serious trail riding. I would guess that I use my Max II 80% more than the Max IV.

The good thing with the beadlocks is that you can get a flat tire and not have to worry about it.

Thanks Mike, I will run beadlocks, but knowing what style was a different story. The one piece wheel would be easier, alot less maintance,the bolt on rings need to be retorqued often. And as you said, they aren't easy to find for aatv's.

Bruce

Yeah we use the term beadlock but what we're talking about is the raised ridge of the wheel that the tire bead has to slide over to seat. Nothing mechanical. Max has 8 and 12 inch wheels by kawasaki (k rims). Argo has.. nothing unless they improved it and didn't tell us . With Matt's 9" wheels, a direct argo replacement.. well same bolt pattern as max also, we're good to go for three wheel sizes.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I forgot that I had this picture in the gallery. Here is one of the Max "k" rims without a tire on it:

According to Jay at Recreatives, the K rims not only have a larger lip for the bead, they are manufactured under tighter tolerances so they are a little larger diameter than normal. So even without the larger lip, the tires will stay on better.

Beadlocks

Thanks for clearing up what beadlocks actually are. I was imagining all sorts of attachments. So they are standard on my 12' Max rims then, here in Aus we call that type of rim a safety rim. They have been fitted to cars here for many years, maybe over 40 years, starting on one side only. the idea was that a punctured tyre would stay on the rim, it doesn't really work if you can't stop right away.

+ Reply to Thread