18 hp briggs to a 28hp efi Subaru/robin

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 18 hp briggs to a 28hp efi Subaru/robin

18 hp briggs to a 28hp efi Subaru/robin

So I found a 28HP EH72 efi industrial grade box engine with an oil cooler and 30 amp charging system at the local discount store known as Princess Auto

eh72fi.htm ,<<link<< and has a $1999.98 price tag.
    Thats $500 to $600 less than the same size 25hp Briggs/Kohler and a $1000. less than a Kawi 27hp LC.

So I am thinking It might fit my 97 Response, besides the major chain/brg/ job, the tranny needs rebuilding and the Motor is feeling weak, and I'll need more power for the 24" frontier tires and/or tracks thats the excuse the wife got anyhow.

So I took some numbers and got the specs and it just might, its only 2 1/2" wider accross the v and some of that is a movable fuel pump less than 1/2 inch longer thru the block and the height is almost the same. only other diff is the shaft is a 1 1/8 x 3.90" keyed so a new clutch is req.
    Looks like I'll have to move the oil cooler allso, it will vent onto the dic brake coolertube, but thats something Id remote box it in with an electric fan like this Newfie did on his youtube video Argo heater mod video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlvAapUxBdI I thought it was a good idea

This could be a good swap with a little fabrication. and whats not to like about 10 extra HP
    Last edited by Moosetalker; 04-05-2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: more info

thanks for the info on those subarus ,i was wondering the price on those motors,
    here is a link to the low profile unit that (i think) will fit under the hood of a Max II
    Subaru Robin - Features and Benefits
    Last edited by Robinhood02; 04-05-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

The Company is fighting for a bigger OEM market share according to blogs and other info I was able to dig up online.

They are considered equal to Honda and Kawasaki for quality and design and better than Briggs and Kohler, so far no LC motor tho.

ON a side Note Due to the Tsunami and related problems we should expect a supply prob for motors and parts in the near future.

I like the idea of the electronic Fuel injection and the simplicity of of air cooling. Emissions standards are making engines with carburetors harder and harder to live with. EFI adjust to altitudes, it will be expensive and time consuming but if you have the time to make it work it looks like a very good engine swap to me.
    When you consider weight this is a very light engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
    ON a side Note Due to the Tsunami and related problems we should expect a supply prob for motors and parts in the near future.
    Not sure where the plants and parts suppliers are on these. It would be something to inquire about, but I would think it PROBABLY won't be too much of an issue. I know some auto MFGs have announced increase in some parts costs already, including American companies since parts are sourced Worldwide.
    Anyways, I am curious on the performance of these motors, and how they hold up long term.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Update

Some new facts.
    No alternator kit for this motor yet will have to see if there is a way to mod a pully to the fan side.
    Instead of sourcing the Motor through a discount chain I got it for $2100.00 from wife's lawn and garden equipment supplier Pluss for an extra cost of $57.00 for a 6 pack of Opti 4 engine oil the warranty is doubled from 2 to 4 years.
    Bonus having a wife with her own company almost makes all that extra work for free stuff worth it. Almost

Allso have to buy the muffler for $120 bucks or so to get the exhaust manifold flanges to fab new exhaust. Factory muffler is dual intake single outflow and looks like it might fit with longer pipes flaring stubbs to spring secure for flex movement like oem.

Was thinking I would cut plastic something like Conquest and use 1/4" diamond mesh to box it in to keep muffler cool. Seen a lot of older machines that had the plastic all warped and bubbled in that area from heat.

Now all I have to do is find the time to start tearing the ol girl apart
    Last edited by Moosetalker; 05-03-2011 at 05:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread