Max IV load capacity in water...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max IV load capacity in water...

Max IV load capacity in water...

I bought a 2007 Max IV and I am adding some options and wanted to get some real world info. I see that RI states the load capacity of a stock max IV is 500lbs in the water less installed options. My use is to drive the Max to my boat,with my family, about 100 yards off shore (because the lake is very shallow sand). I have to cross an area that is deep enough for the Max to float and I want to make sure it will do so safely with the options I have picked.

It is a stock 2007 max IV with the 18HP vanguard and 26" Goodyear tires. I have added a 3000lb winch and winch mounting rack from country ATV. I am considering added the roll cage and seat belts but I want to make sure it will still swim OK with 450LBS of load (the combined weight of my family).

In looking for info I see that my options add the following amount of weight"
    26" tires= 114lbs over the stock Max IV tires
    Winch Mount= 35lbs
    Winch= 30lbs
    Roll Cage and Seat Belts= 85lbs

It also lists the following as additonal weight options:
    O-Ring Chain= 8lbs
    Front and rear Skid Plates= 13lbs
    Heavy Duty Solid Axles= 29lbs

So that totals 314lbs in accessories. 500lbs capacity - 314lbs in accessories only leaves 186lbs capacity per the owners manual. So per RI, I could only ride in the water by myself. I would hope that the 26 inch tires would add some buoyancy but I feel like I am pretty far away from the capacity I am looking for...should I not add the roll cage? How conservative is the 500lb limit set by RI?

Any real world knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I am 264lbs away from what RI says is safe in the water...

500lbs including accessories is very conservative especially with the larger tires. Sure they weigh a bit more but they also displace a lot more. look at the busco beach videos and see the options and how many people are in some of the max iv's in the water at times. 3 full grown men with a cage and winch is really no big deal and it sounds like that's about what you are looking at in weight.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I have a 2000 Max IV and to say the least I have added WEIGHT to it! I added a front push bumper that I welded myself and that thing probably weighs around 80 pounds itslef plus the winch I mounted on it. I also have a roll cage on mine plus a back rack and all the options you mentioned. I have had 4 full grown adults in mine in the water. Now, not saying that it was safe with all that weight in it, and I would not have trusted it out on a lake, but it did work and we got out ok. 500 pounds TOTAL seems very minimal to me. My advice when carrying weight in the water is keep more weight in the back seat and dont be moving around to much. Its also best to drive as straight as you can in the water when you have more weight. If you pick a spot from shore and go straight at it, it seems to react better if you not pulling on one stick and just keeping them both forward to your destination. Hope all works out for you!

Thanks for the info. I am just really trying to figure out if I should add the roll cage or save the weight for people. Obviously, my kids (5&2) will be getting bigger(and heavier) everyday so I am trying to see just where the line is for safety in a Max IV. MHoltz, sounds like you may have had 600+ lbs of people plus another 80 for the front bumper and it worked but you would not be totally comfortable on a lake; I wonder at what weight you think you would be comfortable with on the lake?

A big weight savings would be an aluminum roll cage over steel. You would still have the safety and piece of mind that comes with a cage, but you would not have as much weight up high. The top weight is what makes a machine feel less stable in water. It exaggerates your movements through the momentum gained from small movements.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

That is a great idea! At almost $800 delivered for the factory cage I may be able to get one made locally...I'm going to check that out.

I'd say, wait on the cage until you have the Max in the water with your family in it so you can see how the Max performs. The cage seems a bit heavier than 85lbs. I was thinking it was a little over 100lbs. I've lifted the factory Max IV cage off mine when I was painting it and it sure felt heavy. The cage will make the Max feel less stable in the water as Amphibiousdrew said, so when things thaw out give it a shot. You should be able to get your family and the accessories you have on your Max right now to swim well without an issue of too much weight in the water.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

you could add some small pontoons to the sides for extra floatation. search the gallery for pics.

Dual wheels,simple and it works.

Yes I had well over 600 lbs. I like the idea of small pontoons. I am going to look into it. I have seen a few pics on the site. Im thinking of sch. 40 pvc with end caps. Seems like a good idea.

+ Reply to Thread