1972 argo brake problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1972 argo brake problem

1972 argo brake problem

I have a 1972 argo which has the mechanical brakes. I have adjusted them every which way and they still dont seem to brake ( steer) as good as I think they should. The right brake works quite a bit better than the left.....any ideas? They just dont seem to have too much grab at all. Thanks in advance Doc
    Last edited by doccerny; 05-20-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Do the disc get glazed over or the brake pads? I have plenty of pad left on them. This is the first time ive been around a 6 wheeler.

Anyone have a guess?

Hey doccerny, I have an older Argo 6x6 and had a similiar problem as you are having when I bought it 3 years ago. First I made sure that my brake rotors were clean from oil, rust and grime. Then I backed off the brakes and slid some sandpaper between the pads and rotors and cleaned them off a bit. I then sprayed brake cleaner on the rotors and pads to ensure that they were clean. When I adjusted the brakes again I made sure that the clearance between pads and rotor were no less then .010 thousands of an inch. Used a feeler gauge to do this. Adjusted the levers so that they moved a the most about 4 inches. My brakes are quite responsive now. My 9 year old loves it because he can pivot the Argo around in the gravel driveway very easily. Hope this helps you. Where are you located by the way?
    Cheers Al

Hey Swamper, I live in Oklahoma. I bought this old argo with a Yamaha 360cc motorcycle engine in it. I have gutted the whole thing, putting all new bearings and stuff in it. Im making a goose decoy haulin wagon out of it . I stripped the top half of the shell offand pitched it. I then built a 7.5 ft. X 10 ft. flatbed on it. Made out of light weight tubing . I put a surrey step on the back of the flatbed where I stand up and drive . My control levers are 4.5 ft. tall. It all works real nice but I have to get a few bugs out of the invention, And the breaks are one of them. The clutch cable and throttle cable are 12 ft. long and have been giving me some fits Next Page ....
    Last edited by doccerny; 05-23-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Were having a lighting storm here and everytime I get a page typed My puter gets knocked off.. Anyways ..great suggestions on the brakes. Did you sand the pads or the rotors too? On the .010 gap, was that .010 between both pads on the same rotor ,or just one side of the rotor? I might be takin a ride off the back end of this thing if I get it braking too good....LOL . Standing up on the back end of the thing, makes it a blast to drive. My Yamaha engine is suppose to be 27 hp. It has 6 gears and I leave it in 6th gear all the time, But she'll only run about 10mph tops. But has power out the wozoo. In low on the tranny and 2nd gear on the Yamaha itll climb a tree. I never owned , let alone ever saw a 6 wheeler before I got this thing ,so its a whole new world Hey, I really appreciate you answering my Questions and look forward to talking again. Thanks Mike

I had a similar problem with mine right worked better than left. I cleaned, adjusted, re-adjusted, sanded, cleaned some more. I finally saw that my one caliper was bent and would not make full contact not by much but I guess enough.... replaced the caliper and boy howdy did it make a hugh difference turn on a dime now. Just a thought?

old argo brakes

service manual(92vangaurd)say .010 gap on cam side,otherside held against rotor.i did this on my 78,but backed off 1/2 turn(just to be safe from drag)only thing diff in the man.is no firewall side adjusters there should be a bit of a vee(wider toward the front of argo)on the pads when first touching the rotor.if its reversed you will break the body of the pad.ask how i know!LOL

almost forgot adjust for 6-7 inches for handelebar freeplay from dash(the nuts at bottom of bars)

I got my brakes cleaned tonight but lost some of the little ball bearings in the pad backers. Have to pick em up tomorrow.Gunna have to get me a old style feeler gauge too. I dont think I can adjust the brakes with that much slack in them because my levers are now twice as long...4.5 feet. that would make the travel over a foot. I think Im gunna have to keep my gap to the bare min. Anyways Ill get them back together tomorrow and see how good they grab.Hopfully theyll pitch me off the back of the thing. Did you say to adjust them to where the front of the pad hits first? Ill let ya know. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread