Hustler 440

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hustler 440

Hustler 440

is there such an animal as a Hustler 440?

Hustler 440 Industrial Mower is the only one I am familar with.

Yes, there is in fact a such thing as a Hustler 440cc 6x6 AATV. The Hustler 900 was equipped with a 40HP Kohler 440cc twin cylinder 2 stroke. They were somewhat common machines and they do pop up every now and then on Craigslist and Ebay.

http://www.6x6world.com/images/brochures/Hustler-5.jpg
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks JP. So, is a "Hustler 440" a 40hp twin?I know its a 6 wheeler.Also, correct on the craiglist call. Joe.

Glad to help. It would actually be a Hustler 900 model. They came with twin cylinder 40HP 440cc Kohler engines. I hope I answered your question correctly. I believe at one time there was a pretty active Hustler dealer or dealers somewhere between Columbus, Ohio, Cleveland, and Erie, PA. I have seen a good bit of them pop up in these areas. I have to say that for trail and extreme terrain the Hustler is a machine that can be built to be one of the most capable rigs out there. I have a Hustler 980 BIGFOOT that came from the factory with 26" tires, and I have restored it and upgraded it with a big 627cc V twin Briggs Vanguard, K lock bead lock wheels with Super Swamper Vampire ASX tires and I haven't been able to get it stuck yet. There are some seriously built up Hustlers on this site and they're some hardcore machines. If you can find one at a good price, grab it!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks again JP! What do you know about parts availability for the Kohler 440cc 40hp? Or is the sop to swap out the motor? This seems like quite the pkg though. I'm somewhat shy to begin a project and get in over my head but I feel confident that I could get all the needed pointers from this site! AATV'ers are amoung the nicest folks I'd care to met! Looking forward to meeting many,many more soon! Joe.

Glad to help. There are parts available still because there were a lot of vintage snowmobiles that used the Kohler engines. It isn't too bad to do a motor swap. If you are interested in doing a project, you will certainly be able to do it with the help of this site and all of the members on here. If you can get a Hustler grab it as soon as you can.

Well I did it! I bought it. I think for the time being it shall be known as the "Hustler 440". It is currently being pickled in PB Blaster,should begin complete teardown in about a week. I think a motor swap has allready been undertaken judging by the 3/16" plate that is "welded" to the original framework. Also the motor is a Rotax,not a Kohler Out of time now,must take wife and dogs to camper trailer for weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    Well I did it! I bought it. I think for the time being it shall be known as the "Hustler 440". It is currently being pickled in PB Blaster,should begin complete teardown in about a week. I think a motor swap has allready been undertaken judging by the 3/16" plate that is "welded" to the original framework. Also the motor is a Rotax,not a Kohler Out of time now,must take wife and dogs to camper trailer for weekend.
    Congrats!

Thanks Larry, began taking her apart todoy. Going to be open for lots of advice. One thing of which is what model does someone think this is.I cant find anything on it to positivly identify it.Also, as I said about motor swap alllready being done and due to the fact the rotax motor is somewhat torn down, what would be a good 4 stroke for this mach? Anyone have a good source for "original" Kohler motors?Going to attempt to add pic's of mach to this post.No can do, oh well, their in my gallery.

+ Reply to Thread