Difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke?

Difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke?

Ok guys take it easy on me but i just dont know the different between 2 stroke and 4 stroke ,,,my max iv has a 20 horse Kohler Command V.twin ,,what does this mean,,,, what is it ? Is this motor enough for this Max IV,,, it seams to be ,,but i have not really tried any hills that count yet .There is a lot of hills here in ky and i just dont have a enough nerve yet to try one of the big ones lol. I would love to try one of these hills soon ,,so if any you guys or gals have any thing you can tell me about these mud pigs please do so lol

This link should help you out.

2 stroke and 4 stroke engines
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I won't call u anything.... here is an explanation of 2 strokes.
    HowStuffWorks "How Two-stroke Engines Work"
    Here is the 4 stroke section
    HowStuffWorks "Internal Combustion"
    read those pages and let us know if your are confused still
    Your Kohler is a 4 stroke

If you go to the Engine forums, awesomepossum 66, there are pages & pages & pages of tech info about all the different kinds of motors. By the time you're done reading most of them, you'll be BRILLANT about the differences.

Do yourself a favor, get plenty of practice with the smaller hills, before you tackle a much larger one. You'll know when you're ready.

Bridget

Don't complicate things.. it's simple, the difference between 4 strokes and 2 strokes is.. two strokes.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Don't complicate things.. it's simple, the difference between 4 strokes and 2 strokes is.. two strokes.
    Wow Roger, sounds like something I would have said... but didn't.

Bridget

A two stroke fires on the combustion stroke every other stroke or every other time the piston goes to the top. A four stroke fires once every 4 times the piston goes to the top.

lol!!! Thats a good one Roger!

To get to your question awesomepossum,your 20 hp Kohler Command is a 4-stroke engine and should be very adequate power for your Max IV.Many out there run 18 hp Briggs and even some 16 hp too.The 4-stroke has an oil sump and therby burns straight gas and a 2-stroke has to have gas mixed with oil either manually or by an oil injection pump.The 2-stroke has the advantage of being high revving and it picks up its revs fast but it screams like a banshee no where near as quiet as a 4-stroke.
    The 2-stroke is becoming an endangered species for environmental reasons.In their day they were OK lots of HP by RPM and good hp:weight ratio, but give me a nice reliable,non oil burning,quiet and some torque at lower RPMs, 4-stroke any day.You've got a good engine in fact your Max is probably a 99 or 2000 I think that might have been the Max IV's top engine in the line up then.

Quote Originally Posted by spits View Post
    A two stroke fires on the combustion stroke every other stroke or every other time the piston goes to the top. A four stroke fires once every 4 times the piston goes to the top.
    2 stroke fires ever time its up, 4 stroke fires every other. Down stroke sucks fuel in, up stroke fire, down stroke, up stroke push fuel out=4 stroke. 2 stroke sucks fuel in and pushes exhuast out at same time going down so it fires every time it goes up.

2 stroke= speed and is commonly uses a premix of gas and oil. High horse, low torque.
    4 stroke= balls and runs of straight gas.

+ Reply to Thread