Was going to buy a new Frontier 6x6...but kinda want the 8x8 now

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Was going to buy a new Frontier 6x6...but kinda want the 8x8 now

Was going to buy a new Frontier 6x6...but kinda want the 8x8 now

It wasn't the plan, but I may go 8x8. The problem is always trailering...My trailer is 12'6" so it is not a problem but then I can't take anything else. I'm already 70' long with my 5th wheel & atv trailer behind it. I think it would be smoother, more versatile...just more fun...not that I don't have a ton of fun in my Bigfoot right now.

2008 Argo Avenger EFI 8x8
    2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

8x8 vs. 6x6

I have been told the only differences between an 8x8 and a 6x6 is the weight capacity, number of passengers and two extra wheels. Logically with out actually trying both out yet I would assume the 8x8 with tracks should be better in the snow or muskeg. The Argo sales people who I have spoke to say there is little to no difference but I would think a longer track would keep it up in powdery snow better. The counter argument would be the weight of an 8x8 is greater then the 6x6 so what you gain in track length you will sink in weight. The width of the track may be more important then the length for this application. This may also would apply to muskeg as well as snow.
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 02-05-2008 at 01:54 PM.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

Quote Originally Posted by Robio_8x8 View Post
    I have been told the only differences between an 8x8 and a 6x6 is the weight capacity, number of passengers and two extra wheels. Logically with out actually trying both out yet I would assume the 8x8 with tracks should be better in the snow or muskeg. The Argo sales people who I have spoke to say there is little to no difference but I would think a longer track would keep it up in powdery snow better. The counter argument would be the weight of an 8x8 is greater then the 6x6 so what you gain in track length you will sink in weight. The width of the track may be more important then the length for this application. This may also would apply to muskeg as well as snow.
    I've driven both, the 8 wheel is smoother. I think you would be in better shape on drop offs with the 8 wheel too.

For the price of tracks, I'm not interested...although they would smooth out a 6.
    2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

Not to BASH 6x6's at all (I have one too), but this is my experience:
    Everyone I know that bought a 6x6, wished they had bought an 8x8 after a few trips. NOBODY that I know with an 8x8 wishes that they had bought a 6x6,......... EVER. I have 3 kids, so I need the room of the 8x8 most times, but when I can get away without the family, I take the 6x6.
    6X6's are faster, funner, cheaper/easier to maintain, rougher riding, haul less, will not pull as much load, but are easier to haul. 6x6's are more of a fun, play machine and the 8x8 is more of a working machine. Tracks on both machines will smooth out the ride, but are harder on running gear (more maintenance). I have tracks for both of my Argos, but the 6x6 runs standard tracks and the 8x8 runs Supertracks. for the muskegy swampy ground that I find myself in, I prefer the wider tracks, but when getting into the harder ground, Rocks and Stumps, ect. The standard tracks are MUCH better. Then again, if you are in the harder ground, you don't need tracks.

Just my 2 bits worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Not to BASH 6x6's at all (I have one too), but this is my experience:
    Everyone I know that bought a 6x6, wished they had bought an 8x8 after a few trips. NOBODY that I know with an 8x8 wishes that they had bought a 6x6,......... EVER. I have 3 kids, so I need the room of the 8x8 most times, but when I can get away without the family, I take the 6x6.
    6X6's are faster, funner, cheaper/easier to maintain, rougher riding, haul less, will not pull as much load, but are easier to haul. 6x6's are more of a fun, play machine and the 8x8 is more of a working machine. Tracks on both machines will smooth out the ride, but are harder on running gear (more maintenance). I have tracks for both of my Argos, but the 6x6 runs standard tracks and the 8x8 runs Supertracks. for the muskegy swampy ground that I find myself in, I prefer the wider tracks, but when getting into the harder ground, Rocks and Stumps, ect. The standard tracks are MUCH better. Then again, if you are in the harder ground, you don't need tracks.

Just my 2 bits worth.
    You are a lot of help. I want the 8x8 but I am trying to talk myself out of it. Actually, I just want smoother...
    2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    ...6X6's are faster, funner, ... 6x6's are more of a fun, play machine...
    What makes the 6x6 more fun? Just the agility?

2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

I read the first post and want to make sure I am clear on what you are doing you have a truck pulling a fifth wheel trailer and you pull another twelve foot trailer behind that?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynuss View Post
    I read the first post and want to make sure I am clear on what you are doing you have a truck pulling a fifth wheel trailer and you pull another twelve foot trailer behind that?
    Yip.

2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

I bet it is a tight fit at McDonalds drive thru.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynuss View Post
    I bet it is a tight fit at McDonalds drive thru.
    Pick up orders at all 3 windows...
    2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

+ Reply to Thread