Why buy a winch from Argo that is way, way overpriced?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why buy a winch from Argo that is way, way overpriced?

Why buy a winch from Argo that is way, way overpriced?

I'm buying a new 650 HD and rather than paying the 1100.00 I think I would rather buy a portable capstan winch for almost half less and keep it in the back. Could use it front or back and can use it on anything else like moving trees or any other project. I'm getting tracks so getting stuck should be of the minimum.

I think I paid $49 for a 3500 pound winch new. are you located in placer county Calif?

If you need winch for work or you use it in challenging conditions I would not buy the cheapest chinese winch. I have one few years ago in my 4x4 cars suspension. It did just pull my Suzukis rear axle. There was few problems with it. It didnt have power that it should have and brake didnt hold. I got Warn (RT30) now at my Argos front and next winch would be also Warn.

Marko

Don't buy those very cheap winches. They work a time or two and then break especially if you are really buried. Warn and Ramsey are certainly the best winches and can be had much cheaper than Argo sells them. You will need Argo's mount but it is reasonably priced. The best place to get a winch package is the same as the best place to get the Argo itself, Adair Argo Sales. Call Tim at 641-740-2752 and he'll get you a winch package with his own custom winch. I think he has 3000 to 4000 pound winches and even a wide spool model with 100 feet of synthetic rope.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Take a look at super winch on amazon. I have been around a tera 35
    And a Tera 45..... One bent the heck out of the front if a Polaris rzr... They really do seem like the best bang for the buck!

Seriously. Buy the best winch you can afford!!!

Quote Originally Posted by placergold View Post
    I'm buying a new 650 HD and rather than paying the 1100.00 I think I would rather buy a portable capstan winch for almost half less and keep it in the back. Could use it front or back and can use it on anything else like moving trees or any other project. I'm getting tracks so getting stuck should be of the minimum.
    And I hate to be a Debbie downer, but you will get stuck from time to time. In Alaska it is wise to carry your own anchor point. Where you at buddy?

I'm in the mountains in Maine. The winch I was talking about is a portable rope capstan winch that many loggers use. It is heavy duty, portable and unlimited line length since you are using winch rope. Google "portable rope capstan winch" and you'll see what I mean. You can use these winches for just about anything and made in Canada. For the same amount of money Argo wants...you can get one of these and use it to drag logs any distance you want...rope length is the limiter. You can put this winch with 100 ft. of rope in the back of the Argo and winch yourself out front or back.

If you are really stuck in slop or slop with water,you dont want to be messing around trying tohang or rig your winch.The capstain winch may be helpful for doing some types of work,but I want my winch mounted solid...

Superwinch terra 45 with synthetic rope, have put these on a few Argos and they work great.

I wouldnt use anything else now.

+ Reply to Thread